Is it fair for me to get up all night with the baby just because my husbands' job is outside of the home?

27mom

Asked by 27mom at 10:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to do it durring the week but my husband did it on weekends but now that he sleeps through the night i dont think i have seen him pick up a bottle.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• well in a way..it kinda is fair..but another part of me thinks you should trade off nights.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Yep, sounds fair to me. You can always nap when the baby naps. Your husband can't take a nap at work.
    Anonymous

• well, for the first few weeks my husband got up and changed diapers and gave him to me to feed, and then I did the rest because he was working a lot and needed his sleep and I stayed at home. I had the opportunity when there was only one baby to take naps, with two kids, usually i can't. But we bedshare and I breastfeed so waking up to feed our babies is not too hard, I could sleep while he nursed, plus my husband can't really nurse. But these things are things you and your husband need to work out between you. I hope you find a solution.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• yes bc u r the mom. quit having kids if u don't want 2 be the mom
    Anonymous

• If you are a SAHM then my answer is yes....but that doesn't mean that on the weekends he shouldn't at least take a day.

Reality is that most men don't get up at night...even for the working mom's.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• yes :) but i do think if your baby is waking up every 2 hours, it would be nice for hubby to help you in any way he could.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I think it's fair. Just think of it this way, I never wanted my husband to get up because I would end up getting up anyways to make sure he was doing it right. They can never find the diapers.....or wipes.....or formula.....or anything for that matter. He would probably do something stupid like forget to burp her/him then you would have to listen to it scream all day the next day. Do yourself a favor and just do it yourself. :)
    dupreemommy

Answer by dupreemommy at 10:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• anon 10:33 here. btw my husband and i both work, but i have always done like 99% of night time parenting just because i breastfeed. and DS woke every 2-4 hours for the biggest part of 17 months. blaaaaaaaaaaaah
    Anonymous

• also to add on..you ARE the momma..mostbabies find comfort easiler in their mothers(for obvious reasons) rather than their daddies. soitmight take the father twice as long to put the babes back to sleep whereas it might take you lessthan half of the time it takes him.so generally speaking you SHOULD be the one who gets up with the baby at night. its called motherhood.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2009