what do you do with your bills are late and there's no $?

What do you pay first? We are so far behind on our bills. We have rent, car insurance, credit card bills, cell phone bills that are all late. So, what I did was I left enough to pay rent that is due on monday and the rest left over I split it evenly between all of them so at least they get something. But now that leaves us with no money in the bank... none for food/gas etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• Call the companies and see if any of them are willing to let you pay late. You'd be surprised how lenient they can be as long as you communicate. Good luck, I know it can be hard in these times.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 10:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• op... well my cc companies did call me, kind of harrased me actually, and said that they were going to give it to debt collecters. I told them I could not pay until friday and they wanted to know how much and I kept on telling them I would not know until friday. This card we also tried to talk to several times to work out a financial hardship deal with and they would not help us out. I feel kind of screwed!
    Anonymous

• Maybe tha landlord will let you pay on friday?
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 10:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• thats what my husband said, I'll have him ask
    Anonymous

• Take care of the shelter items first....food, shelter, utilities, clothing. You need to eat, you need a roof over your head with lights and heat. You can't run around naked...lol. Then deal with the credit cards. Don't let the card companies harass you. They scream the loudest, but can't do much to you immediately. Do what you can with them, and hold them off until you have cash to get current or offer for settlement of the debts. I highly recommend watching or listening to the Dave Ramsey programs on tv and radio...or visit his website at www.daveramsey.com.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 11:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Pay the most important first....rent and food. then do utilities and car insurance and gas(do the minimum if you know how much is averagely used). If you have anything left over, pay what you can to the CC companies.
    Anonymous

• maybe you can get some food from WIC
    Anonymous

• always call and make payment arrangements, that way they know you care enough to try to get caught up. You can also request a lower interest rate if it is a credit card and they may even reduce the amount you owe
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 12:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Call your credit cards companies and see if you have "hardship insurance" sometimes you can defer payments - but if they won't then you'll have to call the others..... I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. Wish I could help more.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:02 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Rent, groceries, car insurance, gas/propane, water and electric always came first. For car payment and credit cards I'd call and see if they can give you a slight bit of leeway. I didn't have a cell phone back when our finances were tight and we didn't have any cc's either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2009