Refuses to sleep

Alright this situation is an on going problem for me and my husband. Our four year old daughter Skylar is havin serious problems sleeping through the night. She will wake up at 1am/2am and then she refuses to go back to sleep for hours. At night I get like 4 hours of sleep and I seem to have to fight with her to get her to sleep. She keeps asking for a sippy cup of juice and I an stopping her from doing so becasue she drinks so much and she is just recently potty trained 3 months ago and want her to not have any accidents at night. She throws tantrums when we say no and I am just at wits end. I feel bad for my yougest becasue half the time Skylar wakes her up but she just falls back asleep. I try puttin a movie on for her but that doesn't seem to thelp becasue she goes through like 2 movies. What do I do? I need some serious help/advice on this. If you need any more info feel free to ask!

mommyjones

Asked by mommyjones at 10:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like she needs to get worn out durning the day. I use to play tag with my kids. All that running really wears them down
    Anonymous

• My DS woke up every night until he was 7! No kidding, not exagerating 7! When he was 3 or 4 we put a sippy of water in his room at night so he could just have a little drink and that was what kept him from waking us up in a full blown temper tantrum wanting a drink. We didn't fill it, just a little bit and he would get a drink and go back to sleep most nights, sometimes he would start the fit for more and depending on how badly I needed the sleep I would sometimes give in get a little more water for him make sure he went to the bathroom then go back to bed. Another thing we did was to get him a dim night light and 2 books he could "read" if he couldn't go right back to sleep.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I had the same problem with my son. The doc told me to get some melatonin 1mg and give to him 1-2 hours before bed. Your body produces melatonin naturally to induce sleep so its used to get them back into a healthy sleep pattern. You can get it at any drug store (Walgreens, etc.) It works great. Just make sure you don't give her any during the day cause it will train her body to sleep in daylight. GOOD LUCK.
    dupreemommy

Answer by dupreemommy at 10:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• do we have the same kid? that sounds sooo like Luke its crazy! he gets Melatonin before bed and that puts him out...BUT he wakes up again 3 or 4 hrs later and sometimes he will go right back to sleep and other times he is up all night :(
    Anonymous

• My daughter used to do this same exact thing! We started a strict bed time routine. Every night, same thing. Supper, bath, bed time snack, a book and lights out by 8:30. It took a few weeks and you can not stray from the routine but it works. If she wakes up, lights do not come on, she is to stay in bed, and if she is "hungry" she gets a plain piece of bread and we always leave water next to her bed. She eats it in the dark with me sitting next to her then it's to the pillow. No talking, no messing around. She no longer causes a scene in the middle of the night because she knows there is no chance she will get her way. Be strong mama, and stick to your guns. It will work!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:27 PM on Oct. 2, 2009