How do you wean off the bottle? My one year old hasn't been eating a whole lot and just wants to fill up on bottles.

And ow can I get him to NOT take a bottle right before bed?
I gave him one tonight b/c I wanted to ask on here and he was bawling. I gave him one an hour before bed and then he wanted another. He isn't eating very much for some reason, and I don't know what to do to get him to eat more and not take a bottle!!! I'm really frustrated. He keeps wetting through his diapers at night and we will probably get bigger ones for night time anyway (and start potty training after we get back from Thanksgiving out of state!), but the big thing is the bottle. I don't know what to do to wean him off!

Also... how much milk should a one year old get each day? LIke how many ounces?

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The day after my sons first birthday i took his bottles and packed them away and only gave him milk in a cippy..... its hard for the first few day but it works in the long run
    Anonymous

• milk should be equal to how much formula or BM they drink
    Anonymous

• i dont exactly know how much milk a one year old should get but maybe you could find a favorite food of his??

mine wanted to skip baby food and go right to adult food which is fine if you trust giving him adult food.

try switching him to a sippy cup at night with water in it instead, i used to feed my kids a sippy cup with juice in it at night cause i gave in and they ended up with major dental problems!!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I would work on getting him on a sippy during the day first and get him comfortable with that before transitioning from bottle to sippy at night. Feed him his meal first and THEN give him a sippy with milk. One cup of milk with meals - 8 oz, 3 times/day, 24 oz/day. After that, only water in the sippy so he doesn't fill up on liquids only.
    Also - they're advertising those liquid "nutrition" drinks for kids (like Boost or Ensure for adults), but I'm not very familiar with them. Might be something to look at if cutting back on the milk doesn't help.

Answer by missanc at 11:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I, too, packed away all of my daughter's bottle one night and it wasn't easy. She screamed, cried, begged...the whole nine yards! It broke my heart b/c I didn't want her to starve, but my husband reassured me that we need to do this and she will not let herself starve. He was right. Even though my daughter refused to eat anything for the next two days and wouldn't take the sippy cup...on the third day, she picked it up and started eating normally again. =)
    AneesasMom

Answer by AneesasMom at 11:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• i wenaed her cold turkey the day she turn one i agve her a sippy and said here you go have fun. she took it and drank
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• The sooner you take away the bottle the easier it will be. It definitely won't be any fun the first few days, but once it's over you'll be thankful! At 12 months a baby should be getting 16-22 oz of milk or formula. Just don't offer any more than that... and at bedtime, offer his milk in a sippy cup (I used ones with straws, my daughter didn't like the ones you tip). If he doesn't want it then he goes to bed without it... he won't starve!! In fact, it's doing him more harm than good to be drinking so much and not eating enough solids. You get to make the rules because you're the Mommy. Good luck!!!
    Anonymous