I thought I was getting sick...but maybe labor or other complications??

The other night I went to L&D because I was having long-lasting dizzy spells. I was discharged a few hours later & told to just talk to my doctor about it since I had an appointment close by. Well, the dizzy part never fully went away, & then a headache started to follow. I figured I am just getting sick. I saw my doctor today & she did a NST (non stress test). My blood pressure seems to have slightly spiked since my hospital visit, & baby wasn't moving as much as she would have liked, so I am going back on Monday for another NST. She said the dizziness & headaches are probably due to the increase in my BP. Well since the appointment my headache has gotten much worse, & I've also developed strong BH contractions & had very runny bowels (sorry TMI). I can't time anything it's so sparatic, but I'm definitely thinking this might be more than just the flu. Any thoughts or ideas? Could it be early labor or preeclampsia?

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It doesn't sound right on. :-(
    I am sorry~ but might be the blood pressure.
    Sometimes the body says (shouts), "Baby is safer on the outside, so here ya go!"
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• possibly early labor. a lot of women get diarreha right before birth. i had it the week b4. and i almost wonder if your hormones are spiking and thats causing the headaches. you might ask that on monday! good luck mamma!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Sounds like Premature labor, i had that with my son and they said it was signs of preclamcia and thay i would be going into labor within a week... try and rest more often
    Anonymous

• The warning symptoms for pre-eclampsia are: - headache - high blood pressure - swelling - protein in your urine ....leading to eclampsia or seizure. It is very important for you to return to the L&D with the symptoms you have. You may be rapidly developing pregnancy induced hypertension. If your hospital sends you home again with those symptoms you might want to think about checking with another hospital. You need an NST, a urine test and a liver panel. Decreased fetal movement is critical sign that must be checked. Good Luck!

EastHighlandMom

Answer by EastHighlandMom at 12:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I called L&D but they said that they don't think I need to come in tonight, but instead to go in tomorrow if I am still feeling these symptoms. I already know I have hypertension, it's the preeclampsia that I'm worried about. My doctor said no protein was found in my urine while I was there today, or I'm sure they would have sent me in earlier.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• It must have been hard to get a real assessment over the phone. I have not personally known any OB docs who would risk losing a hard earned medical license by advising a woman to wait another day when she has serious complaints. Especially your complaint of decreased fetal movement. That is often a sign that your baby is suffering from acidosis in utero. It requires professional attention. To tell a patient over the phone with that complaint to wait another day is unprofessional and potentially life threatening. If you are still feeling less movement you absolutely need to be seen (not just talked to). Once you present to the OB department it is mandated by law that they check you. With your valid concerns I would just go to the hospital. Blessings to you and your baby!

EastHighlandMom

Answer by EastHighlandMom at 2:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Well the decreased fetal movement was from the doctors visit earlier yesterday morning. My doctor was standing there while I was hooked up to the NST when she mentioned it. He was moving, just not as much as she would have liked to see, that's why I'm scheduled for another on Monday. I'm fairly sure it's the flu now though, because I also have a sore throat & my stomach is upset. The headache isn't as bad & I'm trying to drink as much water as possible. I plan for a visit to the L&D if I end up with high blood pressure (right now it is back down to 119/70) or blurred vision. Thank you all for your concern. =)
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2009