Where did your husband propose to you, or did you propose to him? Did you know a proposal was coming or was it a surprise? How long was your engagement?

lfl

Asked by lfl at 11:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• He proposed to me in his car. It wasn't a surprise and it wasn't very romantic but I love him and I want to marry him. We are still engaged we will probably get married in about 3-4 years.

I wanted a long engagement.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 11:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Hubby proposed in my living room, we were watching "Men in Black" on TV. We had been out earlier to dinner and a movie. I knew the proposal was coming (I accidently found the ring, tip: don't hide the ring in the car you share) I just wasn't sure when. We were engaged for 10 months before the wedding. I actually ruined the first proposal; he was the lead in a musical and his parents and my parents both came to see opening weekend. I happened to mention that a previous boyfriend had embarassed me during a play and that if he even thought of doing something stupid (like the other guy had done) I would be seriously upset. Two weeks later he proposed, after I said yes he told me all about his original plan. He was going to ask me in the middle of the play. Good thing he didn't, I don't know if I would have said yes. Now I would, but that was 10 years ago, I was seriously shy.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 11:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• He proposed to me. I knew about it. I picked out the ring. It was no where near romantic. lol. He proposed to me in his bedroom after he opened the package in front of me (it was shipped to him and he couldnt get to it in time before i came into the room). Our engagment was 6 months long.
    Anonymous

• He first proposed to me in front of his parents house and i told him no. lol And it was a BIG surprise. Even though i told him no he insisted that he was going to marry me some day and he bought me a promise ring before he left for Korea (Army).
    He proposed to me about 6 months later, in my hotel room in Korea (i was visiting). It was very romantic actually. I was super stressed and sick and he ran a bubble bath for me, lit some candles, gave me a back rub, played romantic music. ...I did not know he was going to propose again but i was not surprised. And this time i said yes. (i would like to point out that it was NOT because his first proposal was unromantic. lol)
    Our engagement was about 6 months long.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I forgot to mention that he didn't have a ring either time. I'm picky about my jewelry and he knew it. I didn't find a ring i liked until 2 weeks before our wedding day! lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• Well, I proposed to him first. It was a surprise even to me :p We were laying on the couch at 6:30 in the morning. I was 16, he was 18 and he had just left a life in NY to be with me. We were watching Pooh Corner :p I asked him out of nowhere if he would marry me. He said yes and we made it official about a year and a half later.

Our engagement was rather long... if you count from when I proposed it was 2 1/2 years. If you count from when he did it (in the parking lot of a Loaf & Jug when I was taking him to work early one morning) it was 11 months.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I proposed to him. We'd been together for like 2.5 months (we were in high school, he was a senior and I was a sophomore), but I KNEW and so did he. I think we both knew that night that one of us was going to ask the other, but we both thought it would be him lol. Then, we were sitting in the back of his friend's car (we were on a double date with his friend and my friend) and they were talking and we were just cuddling and staring at each other lmao. Then I just said, "Marry me?" and he smiled and kissed me. We were engaged for a year and a half. We got married a week after I turned 18. In about 2.5 weeks we'll be celebrating our 2nd anniversary, and we're as happy as ever.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:37 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• He proposed to me, on my 19th birthday, after cooking me a 3 course dinner and decorating the dining room with rose pedals and candles. It was pretty romantic, except that we were "borrowing" his mom's kitchen and dining room that night - he still lived with her at the time. Regardless, he surprised me - I didn't see it coming. I was opening my "present" (which turned out to be an empty ring box) and when I looked at him in confusion, he'd snuck onto his knee and was holding the ring... We were planning on waiting to get married till I had graduated college, but I took a really long time to graduate, and I ended up pregnant before then, anyway. So we were engaged for about 3 1/2 years, with a tiny break in the middle when we broke it off for a few weeks and I took off the ring for about six months after. But we are close to being married 2 1/2 years and still going strong, so I think it all worked out perfectly for us
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 10:58 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• On our couch when he came home on leave in July. He did it in front of his son and my son. It was not a surpise as I told him while he was gone if he wanted to marry me he had to buy a ring. Were still engaged and getting married when he comes home.
    cmissamy

Answer by cmissamy at 8:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My romantic husband proposed to me in a U-Haul truck on our move across country.We were taking a break at a truck stop sitting in the cab.   He asked me once and I said, Excuse me I don't think I heard you correctly."  Then he asked two more times.  I had no idea he was going to do it.  I just kept thinking, "I can't believe he is doing this now, no romance what so ever."  But I could not resist and said YES.  We were engaged for two years and have been married for 10.  God willing we will for another 60 or so.  Good luck to any newly engaged couples and I hope life brings you many blessings.  wedding

Gemaof4

Answer by Gemaof4 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2009