--UPDATE-- My friend is 6 months pregnant and her water just broke and the baby is only 1lb 40z can it still live?

They asked her if she wanted to deliver yesterday or try keep the baby in there until Friday because she will be 6 month pregnant. They got her on meds right now and she is 2cm dilated. I am going to update you if anything else comes up. Thanks for all the prayers! keep them coming!

Okay this is whats new... she had the baby 2day and he was 1lb 6oz he is on lots of tubes hooked up [poor baby] she said he is having problems breathing.

effie777

Asked by effie777 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sorry your friend is going through this. Babies that young can survive, but they don't always. My friend and his wife just lost their baby at 5 months pregnant. I'll by thinking and praying for her.
    shannipoo714

Answer by shannipoo714 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• as far as i know no but anything is possible a girl at my work had her baby at 6 mts and it lived for a month then passed away. good luck hope the baby is ok
    Anonymous

• From what I read on the sheet I got from my doctor yesterday (I am 6 months along), the baby will have about a 50% chance of survival. My thoughts are with you and your friend.
    Anonymous

• my husband's daughter was born at 6 months and she died 2 weeks later but i have heard MANY miraculous stories of babies born at a lesser gestation than that and lived!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• The baby's biggest hurdle right now is brain bleed at that age. I am sorry for her to go through this. The baby always has a chance but at that age they usually only give 20 percent survival rate and it goes way up if the baby made it to 2 pounds. I hope the baby makes it!! My thoughts and prayeers are with the family
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 11:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• I'll keep praying. Miracles happen and the baby does have a chance!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• yeah i heard the same thing that heather did, my husbands daughter died of a brain bleed, but like i said i have heard many miraculous stories.... was he born vaginally or by csection because the chance of a brain bleed goes down a lot
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• PRAYERS for you and friend's family and baby!! Be sure to take pictures of baby for her.
    Anonymous

• ...if delivered by a csection... sorry i forgot you arent mind readers ;]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2009

• It is not hopeless. My mothers best friend had a baby born at 24 weeks. Her son was just over one pound and stayed in the hospital for eight months. That was 25 years ago, he was one of the first babies born that early to survive. He is now a handsome young man grabbing the world by the tail.
    The road is long, but it not hopeless.
    Wishing your friend and her LO the best.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2009