Is it NECESSARY to peel a carrot?

My 16 month old really wanted carrots just now and my baby carrots were no good any more. I had regular carrots though... but couldn't find my vegetable peeler! I just washed it really well and gave it to her anyway. Is it really necessary to peel carrots or is it okay to eat them with their outer skin?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is definatley NOT neccessary to peel a carrot. It is done because it makes the carrot look better. It removes the imperfections of nature that some people don't want to look at. Especially since they will be eating it. We as humans usually get a sense of our food with sight first...than taste.
    If you washed it...it was perfectly fine :)
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 11:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• its ok to eat them with the skin when i put then in the roast i keep the skin on i think raw they taste better w/o the skin but it wont hurt as long as u wash it really good.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 12:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• its okay to leave the skin on (not peel it)- but sometimes dirt and small rocks lodge in the small cracks- biting down on a tiny rock really hurts your teeth!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 1:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• no...the most nutrient is in the skin...YUM
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 3:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• if you peel it you are losing more of the nutritents. why would you peel it?
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2009