should i let him sit in his wet underwear??

im currently potty training my son. and of course he has accidents. but i was wondering.. should i let him sit in his wet underwear for a while when he has an accident? that way he knows what the feeling is like and doesn't like it??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i didnt i tried once and rash city it was bad plus he stunk like pee. my son is about to be 4 and i fonally got him fully potty trained. the reward that worked for him was going on youtube and watching monster trucks. so he knew every time he went potty he would get to watch some. it wokred wonders and it was free lol. i would tell him we dont go in our pants babys do that not big boys.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 12:25 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• That's really stupid. If you accidently step in a pile of broken glass (from a beer bottle), should you keep your foot in the shards of glass so you know what it feels like to step on broken glass? God people like you SUCK. Leaving a kid in pissy pants to teach him a lesson? I'd call child protection on your arse if I knew who you were.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• try to figure out a reward system is probably best. for us its m&m's one for pee, two for poop and three for both at once. its worked wonders.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:29 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• There's no point, really. If he's going to care that his underwear got wet, it will be when it first happens; if he doesn't care then, he probably wouldn't mind sitting in it for an indefinite period of time. If it's accidental, there's no need to punish him, and if it happens all the time then he may not be ready for potty training yet. If he's wetting himself on purpose constantly, then perhaps you could try going back to diapers and making a big deal about how diapers are for babies and whatnot.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:45 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• absolutely not. Thats just plain mean. If its accidental, I'm sure he feels bad enough already. If it isn't, then maybe he isnt ready for potty training.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• no...how would you like to sit in your own pee? One of the telltale signs that a child is ready is when they know the feeling of wearing a dirty diaper. If you feel the need to teach him that, then he isnt ready.
    Dont react to accidents, just clean it up and encourage the good behavior. He isnt doing it on purpose.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• If he is still having accidents chances are he isn't ready to potty train and you making him sit in his wet underwear is just plain out cruel. Not every child is ready to be potty trained at 2 years old.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I am on the fence on this one. I had a very stubborn son that wouldn't poop in the potty, but he'd pee on his own no worries at 3 years. The problem I had with him was he'd say he had to go, and you can bet he'd say it when I was busy in the kitchen or on the phone and would catch what he said/meant. If I didn't acknowledge when he'd say he had to go potty and I mean right then, he would wet/mess his diaper. I finally caught on by about the 3rd time of him doing that. After that I'd say ok, go in and go. He was the shy type that couldn't go if I was in the room, so I'd stand outside the door with the door cracked open so I could hear if he started messing around with things. I tried the potty trainer underware and gave up on that was too much work cause he'd just mess them. Went back to diapers with the stretch sides and he was able to pull them down, pee, pull them up and good to go again. Fully trained @ 4months before 4th
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 10:07 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• cont. (laptop died lol) anyway, here's what I had to do with my son. I took away all his toys. Then I gave him back a select few. If he'd mess his pants, didn't matter in what manner, he would give me a toy and I'd put it in a box out of reach. At the end of the next day if he stayed dry all day, no messes (by this time I knew he was being lazy and it wasn't a tried to make it to the bathroom and didn't make it, qualifying as an accident) he'd earn one of the toys back, but it couldn't be the same toy that he gave me from the day before. Pretty soon, I had all his toys and he wasn't earning them back. So I stuck to my guns as they say and took his blankets away one by one. So all he had left was his pillow, blanket (not his fave one) and bed. When he realized he didn't have things he started earning them back and decided it was time to be big boy and totally use the potty. In like a weeks time he was finally fully trained.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My DD was potty trained but decided to stop using the potty and go in her pants becuase she didnt want to stop playing. So I'd make her to clean herself up. I didn't make a big deal out of it just say, "uh, oh. anjali went potty in her pants. anjali go get cleaned up." and shew ould. She eventually stopped peeing in her pants.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2009