Does this even make sense?

We have great credit (both hubby and I in the high 700's) we have one car paid off, one car will less then $5000.00 outstanding....never late, always pay more then the minimum, we even have an american express with a $10,000.00 credit limit (we have a balance of $1,000.00 on it from plane tickets and car rental) our debt to income ratio is great...

Yet we were told we had to have a $500.00 deposit to connect new cell phone service...WTF?

We have had our current plan for like 3 years and its the only one we have had in either of our names...

(we are young maybe thats why? 21 and 22)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• def bc u are young
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 12:35 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I'd call BS on the company and tell them you'll take your business elsewhere. They'll back down.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:45 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I would go elsewhere. There is no reason for you to have to pay a deposit.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 12:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yeah, I call BS on the company too - that's just crap - young or not - a good credit score speaks loudly for your level of responsibility - they should be congratulating you - not hustling you like that. I definitely would take my business elsewhere.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:58 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I would have to agree with the last posters. My husband and I have had different cell phone services since we were 17 and have never once had to pay a depoit fee. I would try to find a different carrier as well. Hopefully you are in an area where there is moer than one provider so you can choose.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:57 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Wow! I dont have the best credit(college Credit Cards) and we didnt even pay a deposit who we go through(T-Mobile).

And they even gave me a good deal on a Blackberry!

Take your business elsewhere.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:09 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Probably because times are hard. NO ONE can get credit right now.
    SAMNMAYASMOM

Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 4:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• The only way I could think of this making sense is if you are leaving your current plan in the middle of your contract, that maybe they are trying to cover their butt in case you do it to them, too. But otherwise, there's no logical reason I can think of. I'd see if you can find another provider.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Maybe what the AP said?
    Also are you getting ridiculousy expensive phones? Maybe thats why?
    Most places don't make you pay a deposit at all. I've never once paid a deposit at Sprint, Att and tmobile. Go somewhere else!
    Anonymous

• Is it Nextel?
    Anonymous