Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What happens if you lose your child's social security card?

I am a bad mommy!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (10)
  • apply for a new one there is a social security office in my area and u go there to fill out there paper work and get a new one. idk if ur state works the same as mine but when u go to michigans state website there is a link for the social security and u can look up local offices

    Answer by monroemommyof2 at 12:37 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

  • they should have an office where u can get a new 1.i dont know what its called or anything but yu can file for a new 1.try searchin on yahoo or google.your not a bad mom your just time put it in a save spot i have folders in a bin where all my bills documents and papers go along wit hubbys and dd.

    Answer by Desi2Sweet at 12:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

  • One, that doesn't make you a bad mommy!!! Two, go get another one. Just go down to the SS office.

    Answer by Michele068 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

  • oh Mommy you're not bad for this at all!! There's a lot worse things that you'll do in the name of being a good mommy!! Just ask info for the street address and phone number of your county's Social Security Offices. Take in your id and baby's id, birth certificates and marriage licenses if married they'll write it all down and you get a replacement card in about 2 weeks. We're allowed something like 10 replacements in x years.

    If you go in person for a replacement you won't have to be without identification papers, you show them and go home with the papers. If you mail in a form for a replacement, even for a first time card unless done through hospital, then birth certificate and maybe other id's have to be mailed too.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

  • Buy a small security safe to keep all important papers to keep in. Birth Certificates; SS#'s; marriage; contracts; jewelry................... Time to get organize from many more important stuff to come.


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

  • Yeah, you can look up your local Social Security Administration office and just go down there and fill out the paper work. I'd call in advance so that you know what you'll have to bring with you. Go to to find your local branch and the phone number to call that office directly. Don't call an 800 number - call the local office directly.

    In my old job I had to contact SSA CONSTANTLY. It's easier to get a person on the line if you don't use the 800 #.

    No bad mommy here don't worry. It's one tiny little card and is easily misplaced. I bought a fire proof box when my son was born and I keep all of his important documents in there - SS card, treasury bonds, things like that. I am not organized at all and if I hadn't done that I'd be exactly in your shoes right now!

    Answer by beckcorc at 8:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

  • Yep what everyone else has said just go into your social security office and fill out paperwork (you will need the child's birth certificate and your ID when you do go in).. and this doesn't make you a bad mommy my son's card got dropped in a mud puddle the day I received it in the mail when he was a baby so I had to go in immediately and get a new one LOL.

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

  • Oh and also wanted to add I agree with buying a fireproof safe and putting all the important information in. That's what I do and so far I haven't lost anything like that. I get it when I need it and then put it back.

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

  • go get it redone. just go to a Social Security Administration fill out the paper work, and its done. lol .I don't think your a bad mom I just think you forgot where you put it for saves keeping. thats all. It happens to alot of people we are all so busy we just forget where things are put. But later as time goes by we find it.

    Answer by incarnita at 10:58 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

  • It's easy to lose your child's SS card. Your asked to present it a million times, plus juggling your new baby. It doesn't make you a bad Mommy.

    It's easy to get the card replaced. You've been given good advice here.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.