my 5 month old still wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes 3 and for times. Is this normal and how can I stop this.

She can sleep alot during the day and ive tried decresing her daytime naps, but it doesnt seem to be working either.

mrzperez09

Asked by mrzperez09 at 12:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal. At 5 months she still needs to eat during the night. Her body is growing so fast that she has to have calories all around the clock. You shouldn't try to stop it. Just cherish the quiet time you have with her in the night, when it's just the two of you. Remember that some day she will be an unruly teenager and she'll hate you. Right now she needs you. Be patient.

For reference, my 16 month old wakes up between 3 and 5 times on average at night to nurse. It's normal.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• was she sleeping all night up until recently? If so she could just be going through a growth spurt. My sons doctor told me that between months 5 and seven is when this usually occurs. However once shes done going through it she should resume her previous sleep pattern.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• don't expect a baby to sleep through the night for quite a while unless you are an exception...my daughter slept more when she was a couple months old at night than she does now...she's 13 months and still wakes up a couple times a night to eat...she sleeps with me so it's easy, but yes, it's very normal for a baby that young. And no you can't stop it...at that age and up until a year, they need nutrition when they demand it....remember, that sleeping through the night for a baby is 5 hours. but noone said it would be the 5 hours you want it to be...just keep up a routine with him....nurse, bath, read, nurse, bed...whatever it is you do and he will get used to it, but he will continue to wake up...it's just part of it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:36 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My baby is EBF & will be 5 months on 10/12. He gets up @ least 3x a night to nurse. I'm finally coordinated enough to lay down & nurse in bed lol. Its totally normal though :)
    BabyDylansMomma

Answer by BabyDylansMomma at 2:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My 4 month old just went from getting up once a night to 3 times at least. From what I've heard and read its a growth spurt. Might take a couple weeks but your baby should go back to their regular sleep pattern soon! Good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My 3 month old wakes up only about 2-3 times very early in the morning (after sleeping straight 7-8 hours) and I put his pacifier in his mouth. He's back to sleep before I even reach the door so I just let him sleep. He's been doing this for a month now and it seems to be just fine for him. He doesn't wake up cranky at all and drinks his bottle peacefully. Now I'm starting to worry that instead of plugging him up with his pacifier if I should go make a bottle instead...but still, my doctor said it's normal for him to sleep that long without waking up to eat. Hmm...
    Anonymous