what do you think of eating seafood in pregnancy?

?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The majority is safe and healthy in moderation. Just avoid the fish that have high mercury content.
    Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Recommendations

The FDA advises that pregnant women, women who may become pregnant, nursing mothers, and young children should avoid eating shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish due to high levels of mercury in these fish [1] (Table 1).

The FDA also recommends that pregnant women can safely eat an average of 12 ounces of other types of COOKED fish each week You may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week. Emphasis is placed on choosing a variety of fish low in mercury such as shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish. [1].So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• You are not supposed to certain kinds of fish (high in mercury) ; mackerel, swordfish, shark...shrimp is okay but in moderation. I ate shrimp, crab, and catfish during my pregnancies, just a few times through.

MotherHubbard78

Answer by MotherHubbard78 at 1:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• actually here is a link to some good info!

http://www.obfocus.com/nutrition/Seafood.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I don't eat it during pregnancy nor when I am not pregnant, I literally hate all seafood bleh

Anyways somethings you can eat and some things are not god to eat. I do not know the specifics because I don't like seafood in general so I never looked it up. I saw different links posted Good Luck in getting your answer :-)
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 2:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• it's a wonderful source of vitamins and omegas.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I limited myself to 6-8 oz a week. It was my only pregnancy craving: CRAB, shrimp, and crab! lol I loved crab!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I craved tuna and ate it at Subway almost every other day... with extra pickles and olives! I walked in and the girl would just start making it.. no questions asked LOL
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 3:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I ate shrimp.. Craved it both times! They say in moderation is okay I guess. I just ate it cause that's what I wanted. No major problems with my babies
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 6:29 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• my doctor is pretty cool about telling me what i can and can't have. I asked about tuna (straight out of the can with some mustard and mayo) and she said as long as i don't eat it 4 or 5 times a week 2 or 3 times a day, then i'd be fine. She also said that salmon and certain fishes are good for you, just not in bulk. I also recently enjoyed some fried clam strips! lol

The only stipulation she put on fish was sushi. She said absolutely DO NOT eat sushi while pregnant. With the salmonella and ecoli scares that have been going around, i really don't think, personally, i would risk it!

Lotsa luck in what you decide!!!!
    Jennifarter

Answer by Jennifarter at 11:09 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Only stick to foods that are low in mecury. My OB told me to only eat low mecury seafood twice a week. As even low mecury fish eaten more then that can cause mecury levels to rise. Never eat raw seafood or seafood that is undercooked as it carries bacteria that can be harmful and even deadly to your child. ONLY eat low mecury seafood that is fully cooked.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:01 AM on Oct. 4, 2009