Obama wants moms to go back to school....

what about dads? I keep on seeing the advertisement that says "Obama wants moms to go back to school" and honestly it gets me a little irritated. What about dads? I got my college degree, but am now staying at home with our two young boys because my husband and I agreed the best thing for our family is for me to be at home while he provides for us. Personally I feel the best senario is for children to have their moms at home and for the dads to be the providers. But also I don't understand why moms are being singled out and dads ignored. Am I the only one who feels this way. What are your thoughts on this?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 2:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I personally believe it is so that women will not feel so dependent on anyone but themselves. For instance, there are many women who have spent most of their adult life married/SAHM, and then find themselves a single parent with no education or work skills if they divorce or the man skips out on them. I agree that it can go both ways for both genders, but statistically speaking, it happens to women more often. In any case, it never hurts to get an education or learn new things.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I don't think that Obama sees the value in family relationships. He wasn't raised in a traditional family, he was moved around with a single mother, a step-parent, and lived with his Grandma. I don't think he has a personal understanding of a traditional home. He wants longer school days and is in favor of year round school. He wants SAHMs to go to work and let the school raise them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Okay these are paid ads from loan companies/schools trying to up their enrollment numbers. While I am sure that someone will point out where Obama has made the statement somewhere that moms should go back to school, he is not the one who is putting these ads up.

I think it is targeting people mostly women (because i mostly see them on female geared sites) right now in a time when our president is trying to get the message that education is important out.

I agree dads should go back also, but I dont see the ads as comeing directly from obama.

a side note: a traditional home included grandparents helping to raise the children, and having a step parent didnt make my home any less traditional, I still had a mom and dad and a gandparent who all loved me and raised me together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Its not obama sayiing it .
    They are ads for the loan company themselves.
    Dont you think they would use any means nessacery to get more people taking out loans?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

Yes first thought that came to my mind too. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I've seen the ads and yes, I agree, I THINK it's loan companies or those "let us find scholarships for you" companies. I don't think Obama values mothers over dads - I think this is something that has been lacking. I was gonna do some research into this but I haven't had time yet.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• @ 1:31: So, having 2 parents working/well educated and well educated kids is a bad thing?
    It is quite possible to have all of those things and still be a loving, strong family with great values.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:29 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

So that we're too busy to REALLY pay attention to what they're being taught. SOCIALISM! lol.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 5:35 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• OP you seems to live in a perfect world. Go visit abused women shelter ,maybe it will open your eyes !
    It is a great message for every female!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I think that a woman's place is NOT in the kitchen, and that our children shouldn't be taught that women are the weaker sex.

Some of you creeps need to stop pissing on education. If McCain had said either of these, you'd be behind it 100%.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 8:50 AM on Oct. 3, 2009