Help! depressed or just overwhelmed?

So when I was pregnant I was put on Prozac and when my son was about 3 months old my doctor decided to continue me on anti-depressants. I think I'm depressed, but I'm also thinking that maybe I'm just an overwhelmed new mom? My patience is low for my son when he won't fall asleep no matter how tired he is (he is now 5 months old), mainly because I'm exhausted and want to sleep too; my tolerance for my husband wavers; I don't don't want to do anything, but I still enjoy cooking; I still cry alot, but I bitch a lot more too. I definitely fly off the handle much more. I guess I just feel like I can't do this. But what it is taht I can't do, I don't know! I"m taking the pills, but not everyday. I guess I just don't know if I should see a shrink or just find a mom's group. Any advice would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If I were you, I would just try one. Honestly, try a moms group first, and progress to a counselor, pastor/minister, or therapist if the moms group isn't helping much. The best you can do for your baby and husband is take care of yourself. When things get rough and frustrating, just breathe. A glass of water and half a hershey bar on the front stoop while the baby cries are the calming solution for me. Allow yourself to step away from the chaos when it seems too much. As long as the baby is fed, dry, and warm, they are okay to cry it out for a few minutes while you take some time for yourself. Secondly, take time for yourself. So what if there's laundry in the laundry room, so what if the dishes aren't put away? It can wait. You know your limits, don't push it. Take things a day at a time. Just tell yourself every morning, it's a new day, and i'm going to do the best I can. Good luck!!
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 3:02 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Sounds like postpartum on top of the depression you had before. Sweetie, you have to commit to taking the medication every single day. You deserve to be able to enjoy you're baby and being a new mom. Certainly it is overwhelming at times, and that could be a factor in it too. Have you had a mother's day out, away from baby and all responsibilities? After 5 months you deserve one. Stick with the medication and find a counselor that you can talk to. You may be projecting false worries (Like, am I any good at this - what if I'm not, what if I never will be?) Those thoughts are normal. Baby number one is the most worrisome because you're not sure of what you're doing, any time you're doing it. On top of being depressed, not taking your medication and being overwhelmed, you're also tired. And lack of sleep will make everything inflate on you. You can do this, start with a day out and the counselor AND TAKE THAT MEDICINE. GL
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• The Prozac isn't going to help you if you aren't taking it everyday. It has to be in your system continually for 2-4 weeks before it will work. I suffer from major depression with or without new babies in my life. I've been on medication for over 15 years now. It took several tries on meds before I found one that worked for me. I am SO glad I stuck with it!! My life is so much better now. Please keep taking the Prozac each and every day. In addition to that, do things for yourself. Go out with friends, go to a day spa, get a massage, etc. Having a new baby is very stressfull and as a new mom we forget to take care of ourselves!!

Good luck!
    goincrzynonnie

Answer by goincrzynonnie at 5:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i think the meds make it worse. i think u are just over whelmed,do you have a mom or can hubby watch the baby so you can jump in the shower and take a nap? i always have to rock my baby to sleep,you just need a break
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:01 AM on Oct. 3, 2009