Breastfeeding Question

So I use a hand pump to pump milk for babysitting and mental leave me alone moments. And every once in a while I'll notice blood in my milk. This past week or so I've noticed it in both breasts and multiple times in a very short period. My 5 month old also is not eating as much lately. He either gets too distracted or starts crying for some reason that I can't figure out. DOes anybody know if blood is anything to worry about? And do you think that may be why my DS doesn't want to eat? I thought it was just teething, but I'm just wondering maybe there is a connection with the two.

happymom7566

Asked by happymom7566 at 2:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Health

• I assume it is actually blood IN your milk and not coming from the nipple area and around? Im pretty sure this is not normal, at least not that I ever heard of before. Please call your doctor and get checked....... and then let me know, for my own curiosity if you dont mind...???? If it is coming from the area around the nipple itself, maybe you have an open area that is irritated??? I would get that checked as soon as possible, just to be on the safe side. Good Luck Momma, please let me know, I really have never heard of actual blood in the milk......
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 3:02 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I've also never heard of blood in the milk too. If it really is blood in your milk, then I'd suggest you have it checked asap. I hope it's just an open area around the nipple?
    wanita61

Answer by wanita61 at 5:58 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I have never heard of blood in the milk.  If it were me, I would see my doctor.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Even if there was blood in your breastmilk... it wouldn't harm your baby in any way.

Sounds like you might have a breast infection that could be a causal.

Just nurse nurse nurse because if it is an infection, this is the best thing for you...
    Also sometimes baby might be more fussy with the taste of the breastmilk during an infection... (It supposedly can get 'saltier'.)

I would take samples of the 'bloody milk' and save them for the Dr.

You can read more about mastitis at http://www.kellymom.com

Also you can read how it's okay to nurse even with blood present in your milk here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/12more_bf_myths.html

Pay close attention to #6.

Hope this helps...and for the best breastfeeding and accurate information on breastfeeding use kellymom.com ---- it's an awesome resource.

PinkSodaPop

Answer by PinkSodaPop at 12:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Oh and for the record...

Even if you had a severe breast infection (mastitis) ...with blood and 'pus' getting into your breastmilk...it's still safe for baby.

(Thought it sounds horrible and gross...it's 100% safe.)

Just thought I'd add that in for anyone else that might benefit in the future.

PinkSodaPop

Answer by PinkSodaPop at 12:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2009