Do you agree with Obama, that school hours should be longer and summer shorter?

tickled_pink09

Asked by tickled_pink09 at 3:36 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• If the schools could afford it yes i do...I think they should still get somewhat of a summer break but not 3 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• absolutely NOT!! My poor girls are so overwhelmed with homework that lasts into the late evening and with their extracurricular activities they aren't getting their homework done until sometimes 11pm-12am. It is in sane!! If school lasted any longer they would be up even later doing homework...good grief. We don't have enough FAMILY time as it is NOW. I think we need to focus more on FAMILY than pushing more school. ugh. My 15 yr old is so tired by thursday afternoon, she comes home from school and crashes (sleeps) on the couch until dinner, sometimes sleeps through dinner.

I think the poor kids need less time in school and more time with their families!! Lets push better family values instead!!
    goincrzynonnie

Answer by goincrzynonnie at 5:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• No i do not agree with it. The kids do come home with piles of homework and work all evening to get it done. And adding more hours would only make them more tired, they would not learn from it. They don't need to shorten the summers either. We have always had 10 weeks out in the summers as long as i can remember, why change it now. The kids and teachers need that long break every year.
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 6:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• NO. To keep their attention any longer would be pretty hard. They have a long enough day already and it seems the summer just flies. Things are fine the way they are. If this goes through then we willl be seeing a lot more drop outs. kids will be too tired to after school activities and will get into trouble.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:02 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Here's the thing. America's education system is poor, and the students are vastly under educated as compared to the rest of the world. Those other countries have longer school hours, and attend more days each year. I'm in school to become a teacher right now, and I'm learning some shocking things about the American school system.
    To combat some of your arguments ... if students spent a little while more in school each day, and attended more days out of the year they probably wouldn't have as much (or any) homework. Additionally, parents need to be proactive, if your student has "piles" of homework, or is working on it until midnight, something is not right, communicate with the teachers and see if a compromise can be met. Perhaps the student isn't finishing their classwork and is bringing that home too? Maybe they're just dawdling their way through the homework? And maybe it's just too hard. Talk to the teachers!
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 7:04 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I completely agree withAnnieMcD. Our kids are lagging behind,  The statistics are scary. I wish I could remember the subject (math?) but we scored 33rd in line with developed country's! I don't think our kids need more home work but they are in school less then other kids in other country's. I would not mind my kids being in school for an hour longer if they didn't bring home home work......I am not sure what the answers is but our education system is broken and it needs to be fixed

Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 7:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• No way! There is less and less family time and togetherness already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes I agree. Better for the kids and education. There is to much free time for kids and they are already getting into trouble cuz they have nothing better to do when school is out for summertime etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• That would be a NO.
    Our kids can only soak in so much in a day. My kids would not do it.
    I would home School. As a matter of fact, I am starting to fear alot of things that come from that man's mouth lately.
    It will never happen. He is a scenario talker anyway. Keeps people's minds busy so they do not focus on one thing.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 7:59 AM on Oct. 3, 2009