My baby is six days old and I want to try breastfeeding, I have a few questions...

I started off thinking that I wanted to bottle feed, but now im interested in breast feeding. Is it okay to half bottle half breast, and is it too late to start now?

LilBoo417

Asked by LilBoo417 at 4:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i don't see why not... i got my dd to latch when she was just under 2 wks old but personally wasn't ready for it. If you want to try, go ahead!!! It certaintly couldn't hurt! And many moms bf and bottle feed... it's up to you!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• It wouldn't hurt to try! :) And yes you can breastfeed and bottlefeed as long as baby allows it. Sometimes they'll only choose one or the other because of flavor or nipple preference. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• No, it's not too late. Go ahead and breast feed. I think breastfeeding is one of the most wonderful things we women are privileged to have.
    It was difficult for my dd to latch at first but I had help from the nurses at the hospital.
    wanita61

Answer by wanita61 at 5:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• It's not too late. You may want to rent a pump from the hospital to help establish a milk supply. It's going to be tough (unless you're one of the very few women for whom breastfeeding just comes naturally), so you'll also want to get the help of an international board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC). Get the Dr. Sears Breastfeeding Book or The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. Best of luck to you mama! You're making a great choice!

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• You can do both if you want. My DD was 5 days old before I started nursing. I had a hard time in the hospital, so I gave up and came home bottlefeeding. DH got me to give it one more try when she was 5 days old and colicky beyond belief. To our surprise, she latched like a pro, nursed, you could hear her swallowing, and she burped when she was done! Within a week or so, we were completely EBF, no more bottles or formula, so it can be done. Good luck to you, and I'm glad you're going to give it a shot. It's worth it. At this age, she's so young that you might be able to just get her to latch on, and if she does, then you have the hardest part down. Let me know if you have any more questions or need any help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• no is not late. put your baby to the breast as often as possible. also see if you can find a lactation consulatn in your area. or called la leche league.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes! You can still breastfeed. When I was working as an RN in a peds office, I had a mom in for her two week appointment. I walked into the room to find her crying in the corner. The baby was having problems with formula, she was tired and frustrated and stated she wanted to breastfeed, but didn't have the support or teaching in the hospital.

We put that baby to breast and he breastfed exclusively for 6 months and continued nursing through 1 year.

To get your supply built up, feed frequently ....... maybe even every 1 1/2 hours. It will eventually spread out, but you need to establish milk supply.

Congratulations on the new addition and congratulations of deciding to breastfeed.

obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 11:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Its not to late like the other moms said! But i just wanted to say my baby is 6 days old too lol! Congrads
    mommyof2boysmd

Answer by mommyof2boysmd at 1:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2009