My two year old is showing signs of ADHD, he is going to be evaluated later this month. What are some other alternatives to medication?

I understand that this is a fairly controversial subject because it seems to be over diagnosed. Other people are of the opinion that children of this age can not be diagnosed. He is a very difficult child and has been from the beginning, with colic. I need answers from anyone that has gone through this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As far as seeing a behaviorists....I have seen more children diagnosed with ADHD from seeing a behaviorist. I'm not knocking them but they usually are the ones doing the evaluations. Good doctors do sometimes make an early diagnosis. I have known children that have exhibited signs/smyptoms of juvenile onset of bipolar disorder at age two. ADHD is not a lable. It is a medical diagnosis made by qualified professionals. Medication can be very helpful but I leave that to a parent to decide. I can tell you that I would not use medication with my toddler unless he was a true danger to himself or to other people (I have known a few). But truly until someone is in your home and knows all they pyschosocial details they cannot judge.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Nothing is as effective as meds. I knew with out a doubt that my son was adhd by age 2, but he didnt start meds until age 4. He is now 6, on meds, and doing great in school.
    I know that it is hard. good luck, and feel free to message me if you want.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• ***Not ment to be offensive to anyone. I understand everyone is in different situations and what applies in my world may not in yours.***

I would consider canceling the evaluation. My now 4.5 ds has always been a very active child and I had alot of people (my husband included) pushing to medicate him when he was 2-3 (now he has grown up). Some children are just wired more active than other children. I did some reading up on non-medical ways to deal with active children and had a fair amount of success (routine and predicability being a big one in this house). I could go on a long rant about the failures of the school system and medicating young children to fit a mold, (and happily will share more if message me), but just consider--- if you don't want to medicate him anyway, do you really want him given a label? And please, do some research into the long term effects of labeling your child, especially such a young one
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Colic has nothing to do with ADD/ADHD. IMO 2 years old is to young to be worrying about ADD/ADHD. I think you should wait tell he is 4 (before he start kinerganden) to get him diagnosed. Most kids that age are just full of energy. Nothing unusual about it.

Answer by louise2 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• its very rare to find anyone that will evaluate a child under the age of five...im suprised you found someone...so your son must have some severe symptoms....i was told by my ped that the reason they dont like to test so young is because its waaaay to easy to confuse a normal terrible two and threes as adhd...theres no way to diferentiate between it...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I would never medicate my child for that bogus diagnosis(ADHD). My personal belief is that how can medication help with emotional problems? You know there will be some SERIOUS side affects coming along with that. I wouldn't do it, i wouldn't have that crap anywhere near my child. Especially at the age of two. Sorry to sound harsh but that is what i believe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My 2 1/2 year old son has been a HANDFUL (and that is putting it mildly). He defines hyper!! My mom cannot believe how much of a handful he is. At one point she wouldn't babysit him with the other two unless my dad was home too! He had colic also as a baby. The second his feet hit the ground in the morning (6 a.m.) we are on the run. All that to say, I think I understand your situation!! I personally will not consider meds but it does take a LOT of work. My son needs constant boundaries and non-stop correction. It also requires being super consistent with discipline. That means I only tell him ONE time what to do. If he gets told a second, third time then I am soon yelling and he becomes more out of control. If I stay consistent (AND make sure that he hears my instructions) our days are manageable!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:00 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Continued: I also limit his sugar intake majorly!! He rarely gets desserts or juice. Naps are a must! I have moved nap time up to 11:15 which means an early lunch, but then bedtime is at 7:00 so he generally stays in bed (after working on that skill for months!!). If he is overtired he is literally bouncing off the ceiling. We limit our evening activities just to make sure he gets to bed on time. He's a good kid, just SO full of energy and that takes a lot of extra work. We also have a 1 year old and 3 year old, and I am pregnant so it can get crazy! :-) stay on top of it and help him learn the discipline he needs to stay focused and use his energy for constructive things. I keep remindind myself that it is kids like this that can go so far in life if they learn to control all that energy!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Try the Feingold Diet. It has worked well for a lot of ADHD children.

http://www.feingold.org/

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Actually, the first poster is wrong. All of the latest research says that a extremely strict healthy diet treats ADHD symptoms far better than meds and without any side effects. It takes a huge commitment though. The ADHD diet has NO preservatives, trans fats, or hydrogenated oils of any kind. You do not have to buy organic everything, but you have stick with fresh foods instead of feeding convenience foods. Also sugar should be avoided and particularly all sugary drinks. And finally, no caffeine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2009