Anybody have a good recipe for homemade granola bars?

I am sick of buying pre packed granola bars. I tried a recipe I found online but it just turned into a gooey mess and didn't stick to gether at all. I like the granola bars that are very firm and don't just fall apart in your hands. Thanks.

Noworktodo

Asked by Noworktodo at 9:17 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Meanwhile, prepare a glass baking dish (about 11 x 13 inches) for your granola by lining it with waxed paper lightly sprayed with a nonstick spray. Put the brown sugar, honey, butter, vanilla, and salt into a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. By now, your grains and nuts should be toasted, so mix everything together in a large bowl. The grains, the liquid "glue," and the dried fruit. Oh, and turn off your oven, because you're finished with it now.

Mix everything REALLY WELL because you want to make sure the "glue" gets all over everything. Now, dump your granola mixture into your prepared baking dish. Spread out the mixture with a wooden spoon or spatula. Now fold over the sides of the waxed paper or add a sheet on top, and PRESS HARD all over the granola. You want to compact it together so that your bars won't fall apart when you cut them. Wait 2-3 hours or until the granola has totally cooled.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• go to tlc.com and look for one of kates recipes lol she makes that stuff all the time! also try ehow.com that site is good for how to make and do things GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Google Alton Brown's granola bar recipe. Every recipe I've ever tried of his turns out to be the best. I haven't tried it myself, but I am planning on it very soon. BTW, he is the guy on Food Network, the show Good Eats.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Granola Bars
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Gather your ingredients:

2 cups oats
    3/4 cup wheat germ (I use ½ ground flax seed)
    3/4 cup sunflower seeds
    1 cup peanuts, crushed (any nut will do, I usually use pecans
    2/3 cup brown sugar (I use 1/2 cup)
    1/2 cup honey (I use a maple/agave blend)
    4 Tbsp butter
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp Kosher salt (I use sea salt)
    approximately 8 oz. dried fruit (I use dried cranberries)
    To crush your peanuts, put them in a plastic bag and smash them with a heavy mallet, measuring cup, or sauce pan (I use my Grandmothers nut chopper).Then, mix the peanuts, oats, wheat germ, and sunflower seeds in a baking dish with sides. Toast them in the oven for 10-12 minutes, stirring every few minutes so that they don't get burned.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Then, open the waxed paper and carefully turn the granola onto a large cutting board, peeling away the rest of the paper. Now, firmly pressing down with a big knife (not sawing), cut your granola into whatever size bars you'd like.

I wrap ours individually in wax paper (and store in the freezer), so that we could just throw one into our bag or lunch box in the morning. If you'd like to save on packaging though, you can store yours in an airtight container, between sheets of waxed paper (so they don't stick together)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2009