question about breastfeeding... no bashing please

i am new to this and plan on breastfeeding when my daughter gets here. i wanted to know if i can drink caffeine while BF. Also, is it ok to have a glass of wine with my husband to celebrate when we get home from the hospital if i am BF?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i drank 1 cup of coffee while i breastfed, but i did it right after the morning feeding so it was out of my system by the time he wanted to feed again. The wine is a personal choice i guess. I don't drink on any occasion so that was never an issue for me. I don't think it would hurt though. not one little glass. Its not llike you are going to drink it while she is feeding.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes and yes but you have to wait a certain amount of time before you have that wine or caffeine, you want to make sure you breastfeed first and then you shouldn't have to feed her for another 2 hours atleast unless you have to other wise by that time, that 1 glass of wine should filter though your body in 2 hours it will be okay and so will your baby
    RCPerry511

Answer by RCPerry511 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Awesome that you want to breastfeed...I breasfed 3 of my 4 children and the last one I breastfed til she was 2. There is nothing in this world that can create the warm wonderful feeling of a child nestled against you while feeding. A wonderful warm bond it creates. Don't forget to find bonding time for daddy and baby too. As far as a glass of wine to celebrate, nothing wrong with it, but as with everything else...moderation is the answer and keep in mind whatever you take in the baby will too..wine and caffeine go thru the breast milk...so have the glass of wine to celebrate, but don't overdue and not often. As far as the caffiene...moderation again is the answer...I drank tea which has a lot of caffiene, with no negative affect on the baby. Again moderation...and make sure you drink lots of water in between those caffiene drinks...if you do notice caffine is affecting the baby, stop or drink cafeine free..congrads.
    chipster225

Answer by chipster225 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• You CAN, but it's just best not to. Caffeine isn't good for anyone and you can live without it, so why not? Alcohol isn't good for anyone but you can live without it, so why not? You won't need that to celebrate. You'll be plenty busy anyway =) Congrats. I hope you join some BFing groups before you're due. BTW having these things and waiting to feed isn't really an option for a while. Newborns CONSTANTLY feed for a while.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes and yes!
    Congratulations!

I have been BFing for several years, let me know if I can help. :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Why would anyone bash you? You are a good mom for even asking! I drank coffee when I was nursing, not constantly all day but I had a cup or two int he morning and like someone else said, I tried to drink it after the first feeding. The wine? Well I am not too sure there, I did have a drink on occasion but when I got home from the hospital the last two times I was on vicodin! lol So I suggest you go on kelleymom.com and check out what they have there. There is lots of info! You can message me if you would like and you should join some breastfeeding groups. The one I really like was proud public breastfeeders or New Or Soon to be breastfeeders. Good luck!
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 10:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• OP
    Well thank you for the input. The reason I asked is becuase I am addicted to coca cola and gave it up completely when I found out I was pregnant until I started getting massive migrains. So then I drank it once in a while to keep them under control. I've been craving it and I am due in a week so thats why I asked. As for the wine, I never drink ever but someone bought us a care package from the hospital. They bring you dinner and dessert by candlelight and a glass of wine for me and my hubby. I didn't know if it was ok to drink it or not.
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i think you are fine to drink some coke! I sure did, i am addicted to diet coke! A glass of wine will be fine! lol They wouldnt give you wine if you cant have it!
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 11:10 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• pssht. NO big deal.
    It IS healthier to avoid the sugar, caffeine, and alcohol. But in low amounts on occasion, not a big thing.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• lol I had one cup of coffee while EBF my son ( I think he was around 4 months old) and he was off the wally hyper!! My BFF drinks a cup a day and her little one isn't crazy. lol It really depends on how your child reacts. My son didn't sleep for 26 hours .... over one cup. lol
    However I could drink a ton of pepsi and he would be fine. ( yeah, I don't get it either)

I know that the yeast in beer is GREAT for your milk! You will be so full, your Cups will overflow! =)
    Just use common sense, don't go over board. =) Congrats on your baby and double congrats on bfing!!! You will love it!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2009