17 month old and newborn

What are some benefits and bright sides of having a 17 month old and a newborn at the same time? Anybody that's been through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They can be really close, once they get old enough they always have a playmate. The 17 month old is just old enough to "help" get diapers and things like that for the baby so they won't feel like they are being replaced. Before my dd was born we got a doll for my son to play with and basically used it to show him how to nicely touch a baby and give it kisses and all so when she came along it was easy to get him to be gentle with her. I thought it was a nice age difference, it wasn't bad at all for us.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 10:36 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I did it 2 times lol!!! My first and second are 17mo 8days apart and my second and third are 17mo 18days apart! I think it is great that they are so close and sometimes (now that they are older) Its like they are twins :) Dont get me wrong it can be tough some days when both babies are crying and sometimes I just cried with them !!! One big advantage is you still have baby stuff and if they are the same gender than you still have the clothes. My first and second were boy and girl, but 2 and 3 are both girls so its great now. They are 2 and 3 1/2 and they pretty much share all their clothes. They weigh only 2lbs different and the older one is only about 3inches taller. All in all I think it is a good age difference. I am having #4 now so the difference will be 2yr 9mo and I am wondering how that will be ?!?! If you ever need anyone to talk to I am here :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 10:57 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Also I think it is good because there isnt alot of jealousy. My kids were never jealous (maybe I got lucky) but they are so little and dont know any different!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 10:58 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My son was 16 months when his sister was born. He took care of her like she was his baby.

They are now 7 and 8 and while they fight (as siblings would), they are the best of friends and very close.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• the new born sleeps alot. lol mine are 16 months apart. It gets better! they are noe 13 & 29 months and best friends!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes ma'am. My youngest 2 are 16.5months apart. It wasn't as bas as I had imagined it to be. The hardest part was when my older dd was potty training and my youngest was still nursing. I just didn't have enough hands. lol now They are 9months and 25months. They play so well togethor and are so loving. It's so cute!
    lilnivy

Answer by lilnivy at 12:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• my son and daughter are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2, and they are best friends. we are having number 3 in about 5 weeks, so i believe that its good to have your children close together. they have playmates, and are much easier to handle. :)
    Anonymous