Can anyone suggest something new for me to read/watch?

Lately everything seems to have become so boring and I am very picky about what I like, which makes it hard for me to find something new to read or watch that I can enjoy. I mainly prefer horror/thriller/suspense/mystery/drama. Can anyone suggest some good books/movies for me?

Don't suggest Twilight, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood, or anything else involving vampires. The only thing I liked was Twilight.

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

jazztastic

Asked by jazztastic at 11:08 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Entertainment

• Have you read any Clive Barker? He's pretty out there, but I enjoy most of his writing. I like Peter Straub too. I just finished re-reading "Julia", which is a little old-fashioned and slightly stuffy in the British sort of way, but very good nonetheless.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Hmm... Do you like a little political intrigue, lots and lots of romance and some crazy sex? lol. You could read Kushiel's Legacy series by Jacqueline Carey. The first three have an incredible story line, but the sex scenes can be a little hard to swallow... they're very bondange heavy. But then the second three also have an amazing story line, and only have a little bit of bondage, and a freaking AMAZING main character. It's all the same series but broken up into trilogies and the first book in the third trilogy is out too, and the second will come out next year.

I know you said don't recommend vampire books, but the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is good. It's light, funny, and it has a very heavy mystery/horror vein in it.

My other favorites are Elizabeth Haydon, Terry Goodkind (fantasy) and Patricia Cornwell (mystery/suspense).

Hope this helped!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Libba Bray "Gemma Doyle" Trilogy, Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:36 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Um, I just read through V.C Andrews Dollenhanger series. The flowers in the Attic and all that I was litterally glued to those books for the last few months lol. It was good another good book is First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung. That I read twice just because I liked it so much
    KayLundy3

Answer by KayLundy3 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Any James Patterson book. "The Quikie" was very good (James Patterson). Ended in a way you wouldn't suspect
    The Reality channel has good shows. Househusbands of Hollywood is good. It's on all afternoon actually.
    The last movie I saw was "7 pounds" with Will Smith, I got it from the library and the lady said it was a DARK movie. I tried not to cry at the end. It was not DARK
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i liked the movie thirteen ghosts, also shawshank redemption is good, or if you want to watch a longer movie check out the stand...i love that movie!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I've seen Thirteen Ghosts, Shawshank Redemption, and The Stand. I've seen pretty much every Stephen King film ever made.

I've heard a lot about James Patterson, so I may give him a go.

V.C. Andrews I sampled and couldn't get into. Just not really my style of writing.

Keep the suggestions coming!
    jazztastic

Answer by jazztastic at 12:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I love Harlan Coben! I can never put his books down! If you like a good mystery he is the best. Also check out Lisa Gardner.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I've read one book by Harlan Coben. It was pretty decent. I may have to try and find more.
    jazztastic

Answer by jazztastic at 1:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Ive been wanting to check out "My Sisters Keeper" movie or the book.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2009