Poop from a baby that is hard pellets...

My son JUST went poop I went to change his diaper and it was a bunch of tiny hard pellets that were reddish orange, he did jsut eat carots last night he is 6 months old the color is probally from that. It was his first time having baby food carrots. Should I give him some apple juice? Is he ok? What do I do?? He is acting ok... Is he constipated?? Thanks

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 11:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, it is ok for him to have juice. If he hasn't had juice before, we usually recommend starting by diluting the juice. Some babies take it full strength without a problem, others have more sensitive tummies. In our office we recommend starting with 1/4 juice 3/4 water, working up 1/2&1/2 then 3/4&1/2, to full strength.
    obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 11:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My dd used to have that too. it doesnt have to mean constipation but give it a couple more poops too see if it changes lol. I would give him some watered down prune juice. That always helped my dd. Anything with a P helpsyou go. Like prunes, pears, peaches...all of those baby food can help and they will actually taste good to him
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• and even though apple sauce helps you go, my dd's pediatrician says that apple juice can actually bind you up. so id try the other juices first. white grape is very helpful too. and as prev poster said, you have to dilute it. I still dilute my dds juice and shes almost 3. way too much sugar
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• We went through the pellets, still do sometimes, I don't worry about it unless she strains to get it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• If it's just the once, I wouldn't worry. I'd wait and see what the next BM is like.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• hes constipated try giving him apple or prune juice.
    nattie123

Answer by nattie123 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2009