Deaf thoughts

Im going to sound ignorant here, and I am totally sorry about it but I have always wondered about this. I am not deaf, and most of my thoughts are in words. But how do deaf people think if they dont think in words?
For example, I will sometimes have an entire conversation with someone else in my mind, it will all be in words. So do deaf people think in signs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Health

• Hmm... well I am not deaf but my friends daughter is deaf, and she knows how to read (as almost all deaf people can) She said she thought in pictures (which I'm sure most children do! *think of mommy* shout "mommy!) I'm assuming that deaf people think in words, just as we do! Just because you can't hear, doesn't mean you don't know words- signs are the visual translation of words.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My best friend (who is profoundly deaf) thinks in words (I asked once). Just like you think in words and then speak them; they do the same...think in words and then sign them.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I'm profoundly deaf and I think in words as well Don't worry I'm not offended LOL thats a good question & to me their are no dumb questions
    cookoo49

Answer by cookoo49 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2009