How do I get my 1 1/2 yr old to share his toys and Mommy with the kids I babysit?

The kids I sit are two boys one is 2 yrs and the other is 7 months old

JEpright83

Asked by JEpright83 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just make a big deal out of it when he does it or another child does it. Hes still pretty young so dont worry about it. My dd is almost three and is finally getting the concept
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• and if these kids are in his home then they are in his territory. thats how he sees it
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Praise when he's playing nicely will definitely go a long way. You can also practice at snack time with goldfish crackers. Give him one and say "your turn" then to the 2yr old "John's turn" then yourself "my turn". Sharing is a lesson that takes time to learn and he'll get it eventually.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 12:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• take the toy from him and say if you wont share,then no one plays with it,and let him throw a fit,
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Sharing is a very big concept. Pre-schoolers struggle with it and toddlers, especially. And most importantly with it's their toys and their mommy.

As twinclubmom said, you say "taking turns." But before this, put away the toys that s/he prefers not to share and only take out the ones that are communal. They are his/her toys and s/he shouldn't have to share them. Do you share EVERYTHING? I don't like to share my clothes.

So with the communal toys you give it to him/her and count to 5, follow with a BIG PRAISE!! Then give to the other child, count to 5 and again BIG PRAISE!! This can be an activity that can take a while, but so worth it!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Thank you for all the advice...I will have to see how it goes!!LOL
    JEpright83

Answer by JEpright83 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2009