Does anyone know of a program for low-income moms to get a car?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• Usually that sort of thing is run by the same group that runs your community services, food bank, energy assistance, coat drives, ect. I would contact them and see if they can at least point you in the right direction.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• You will have to be on welfare of course and you will have to be working with your agency so many hours to be able to pay for the loan backed up by DHHS(Most times).

http://www.goodwillnne.org/programs/workforce-solutions-goodwheels.php

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 12:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Don't forget to add part of the expense of owning a car is maintenance; gas for it; license plates; fee every year & insurance for it.

Anonymous

• Why do you need a "program?" Why can't you just buy a "clunker" that you CAN afford? One that is reliable enough to get you to and from your job, but you don;t have to make monthly payments on?!

I didn't buy my first NEW car until I was 31 years old!!! Until that point my cars ranged from being 2-11 years old WHEN I bought them, and when I traded them in, they were between 8-14 years old!

However, if you live in Massachusetts there is a "Wheels for Welfare" program!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Some states have a program called Aide of Dependent Children (ADC) where they make you attend classes for finding a job and give you monthly checks to help with utilities and rent or diapers. They will provide you with a check for $2000 or less if you pick a car within that range.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 1:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2009