Rude to invite someone out but then have them give you a ride?

I want to invite some ladies I know to a event for our babies. Only thing is I dont have a car. Public transportation where I live is terrible, the bus times are unreliable, the closest bus stop to where I live is a 30 minute walk in the hot and humid weather (and my daughter gets overheated extremely easy), and the bus doesnt even go to where the event is. If I asked them to pick me up it wouldnt be out of their way at all. In fact, it would be on the same blvd they would have to go West. I was just wondering if you would find it rude to invite someone out but then have them be the one that has to be your ride?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Travel

• I don't think so but I usually either offer to pay for gas, or pay for entrance to the event or pick up drinks when we get there. Basically do something to ballence out the fact they picked you up. We only have one car and DH has to have it for work, so I end up having to get rides and such on a fairly regular basis. The good thing is here the public transportation is really great so its not very hard to get around.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I think instead of inviting them....then asking for a ride, I'd tell them about the event, and say you'd really like to go, but don't have transportation, and see if anyone volunteers. Someone may just say, "hey that sounds like fun, I'll drive". Or you could invite someone and say "I don't have a car, but I'll pay for your gas if you'll drive."
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• No biggie. I have done that and paid for gas. Or the meal . Or both.
    bella69147

Answer by bella69147 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Good Answer's Don't feel ashamed...No way......just ask ;o)
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 6:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I agree with the ones who said mention it to them and invite them then also offer to pay for the gas or something..
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I think your okay with that. But maybe you can pay half of the gas trip. Either up or back.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 3:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2009