Exactly what should I do about this?

I have been sick, in addition to having 'nerves', for several days. I have only been able to keep down a pickle since sunday night. I was managing to keep some fluids in me, but since Wednesday...have only been able to manage a few sips of soda. I feel sick. I feel like i have a cotton ball in my mouth, my whole body feels tingly, i have a headache, feel weak and dizzy. I am so tired, I really just want to go to sleep. I simply cannot keep anything else down though. I have TRIED and TRIED. I haven't hardly peed in the last 24 hours, and don't know what to do. I have to drive 14 hours in the morning with 5 kids, and can't get medical help before then, because I am all alone, and can't imagine trying to handle 5 kids in an ER with how I feel. I will go to the ER when I get home, but until then...what can I do? I'm a little bit scared...hoping I can hold out for another 36 hours until I get home...any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Health

• Your dehydrated!!!! Keep the fluids going until you can go to the ER but be prepared, they will probably hook you up to a bag since you cant keep anything down so that they can give you fluids.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 12:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I suspect (not being in the medical field, but having gone through this a few months back) that you are dehydrated, which is a dangerous condition and can make you feel very ill, and may cause serious health problems- for example there's no way you should be driving any distance with children in the car. When I got dehydrated I was so ill, but when they hooked me up to intravenous fluids I felt better almost immediately. Maybe you can go to one of those urgent care clinics and keep the children with you there. There's nobody who would watch the children? No day care that you can put them in for a few hours? No babysitter available. As I said I am not in the medical field, but from what you describe you have a health emergency. Please do something now. Please also post a follow up so we know how you are.

Answer by Bmat at 12:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I know i am dehydrated...I cannot keep any fluids down though. I guess I'm more asking if having extremely minimal fluids will cause irrepairable damage within 4-5 days.
    Anonymous

• And no...there is no one to help. I am escaping from a DV situation several states away from home. I have no one here...at all. Also, no money to go to urgent care. I would have to go to the ER.
    Anonymous

• Sweetie, Im sorry you are so sick, but I dont think you should wait another 36 hours before you go somewhere for medical attention. I dont know your exact situation with all those kiddos, but is there not ONE person that can go to the ER with you? You are past dehydrated and actually getting closer to doing damage to your kidneys and such. YOu really need to go to an ER TODAY, or actually NOW. The longer you wait, the more damage you are doing. And are you planning on driving the 14 hours? You are only hurting yourself in the long run...... and what if you were driving and pass out from being so sick with all your kids in the car with you? Even if you have to go with your kids to the ER, take them anyways, they can find someone in the hospital to sit with your children if you explain your situation.....Please go to the ER TODAY (now)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• You can't imagine being in the ER with 5 kids? Can you imagine being dead? Because what you're describing sounds like a serious infection of the kidneys and/or bladder and believe me honey, those kinds of things can go from bad to the worst in less than 14 hours. Go the ER, go now.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yeah, you need to get fluids into you. If that means the ER it means the ER. Driving while dehydrated is dangerous. You are talking about being dizzy and weak and that's only going to get worse if you get more dehydrated. For your sake and your kids sake you need fluids. Go to the ER, get an iv. Because by the time tomorrow comes you won't be able to drive 14 hours, you'll be stuck even worse, and feeling even worse. Take care of this while it's a little health problem before you get really really sick.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I agree, go now. You need help urgently. You'll likely be hooked up to an intravenous solution that will make you feel much better. You may even be able to keep fluids down once you are rehydrated- once your body has needed fluids in it again.

Answer by Bmat at 12:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I also cannot imagine trying to handle 5 kids in the ER when you are this sick, but you HAVE to get there and hope someone will help you with the kids when you explain your situation to them. If you drive 14 hours in your condition you are going to be risking the lives of ALL of you as well as anyone else on the road.
    So I guess you have to weigh the consequences of worst possibles- go to the ER with the kids and have them running around the room with you or not get medical treatment, try driving 14 hours end up getting in an accident and killing some or all of you and quite possibly another family!
    Anonymous

• *hugs* I don't know what to tell you, I think you should go to the ER but thats me. I know here if you go during the day sometimes they will put your kids in the Daycare that is on site for the hospital staff. Call the ER nurse and ask what you should do, they may have advice or someone you can call.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2009