My 4.5yo hates directed group activities...any tips?

My 4.5yo son hates any led group activities. Generally, that's not a big deal as I'm a laid back, stay at home, homeschooling mom. Fortunately/Unfortunately he's now old enough to participate in the local rec department. My husbadn rushed out to sign him up for soccor ASAP. Now, he hates going to practice and literally refuses to play in the games (he'll play on the sidelines with the kids, but not participate in the actual sport). He'll cry and make a big (loud, embarrassing) fuss if pushed. The thing with my little boy is that he's very nervous around kids he doesn't know well (we live in a very kid-friendly neighborhood and when the weather is nice he's outside running around with other kids for hours on end ever night), and doesn't like doing things hes not confident with in public (ie, he'll read to himself, but hates working on reading with me). He is a very bright child, but somewhat emotionally behind. Any tips

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would suggest a different activity. Join the local Y and try swimming, tumbling, soccer, football, etc. They are only 4 week programs so he can try each until he gets one he likes. It might help. Plus, they have homeschooling gym time (which means he can meet other homeschooled kids). My son was the same at that age, but now that he just turned 7 he is all over the sports thing.
    Anonymous

• (continued). My husband refuses waiting another year because he thinks that letting him quit will just make it worse (I think another year to mature would make a huge difference). I want him to have fun and enjoy this. I also want marital harmony. I'd appreciate any ideas on how to make this a better experience.
    Anonymous

• sounds like he would benifit from public school & maybe a group like boyscouts could build his self esteem.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 12:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• karate is a great way for kids to learn respect and discipline. Its also a great way to get out there frustrations. Try it!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Ask you son if he would like to wait a year and see how he feels.

if anything pushing him into it will make things worse.

Trust your child.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Don't send him to public. Just give him time. Maybe he doesn't even like soccer. Give the kid some options of what activity to participate in, rather than forcing him into one.
    Anonymous