Has anyone ever washed a goose down jacket in the washing machine?

I read mixed reviews about this online and was wondering if anyone has actually had success with this. Thanks for your advice!

Jazzmin7

Asked by Jazzmin7 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yes I have. I washed it in the gentle cycle and hung dry it. Mine came out just fine. Best of luck to you.
    Anonymous

• I have and all I can say is the tennis balls smell NASTY in the dryer (you put them in to fluff the down so it doesn't stay soggy and clumped up) The smell stayed on the coat for about a month after that. Wet down is bad, warm tennis ball is much much worse.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i just received a new goose down coat as a birthday gift together with a special cleaner for that....so i don't think i can wash that through machine....
    island_rose

Answer by island_rose at 12:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yeah and p u!!!! It stunk like poo afterwards for weeks!!!!!!!! I'd just make sure to air it out constantly outoside when possible without rain or snow. Spritz it lightly every few months with lysol lemon fresh, very lightly under arms and neckline inside and out.
    Anonymous

• yeah just do it on teh gentle cycle and tumble dry on low with dryer balls (walmart sells them 2 in a package for $5) instead of tennis balls. We use dryer balls to fluff everything we wash adn they are fabulous!
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 12:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes you can wash it. I have always washed my in hot with a little bleach. Def delicate cycle. I always put it in the dryer with a tennis ball. It was a new one of course and it def didnt cause it to smell
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I have and like the other Mama whom commented, it smelled nasty for weeks!
    Krystallized

Answer by Krystallized at 1:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I did when I had one of those huge plump down jackets- and it worked fine but there were tiny feathers to clean up afterward, so wash it by itself and do a thorogh rinse of the machine afterwards
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 6:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2009