For parents who have their children in private school (elem.)

how much is your tuition a year? Do you feel it's worth it? Is it better than public school? (In your opinion) I want to put my daughter in private school but I'm wondering what other parents who have experience with private school feel about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter isn't in a Private school, but she's at a Charter school, it's better for her. Check into those.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My DS is in 2nd grade at a private school and his tuition is $3000/yr. Of course I feel that it is better than the public school, mostly because the class size is much smaller, when he started K there were 4 and now they are up to 10. He is attending a Christian school, so I also like that he is learning about our faith at the same time that he is doing his school work. We are very involved with the school (I volunteer twice a week and hubby goes in twice a month), and they are more flexible when families need to take kids out of school for a few extra days. Also, and we are a bit spoiled, we only go to school 4 days a week. So for now it is going great, but we will probably be putting him in public school when he gets to junior high, because there aren't very many extra-cirricular activities, but until then we are very happy with the school he is in now.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 2:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• We pay 20k a year for our 7 kids to be in private school. I think it is worth it. My oldest was in advanced classes when he was in the public schools. We moved him to the private school and he was behind. He caught up quickly but they school has always managed to keep him and his siblings very challenged. We are blessed we can afford this but so many other kids are being left behind by very poorly ran schools with uninspired teachers and often uninspired parents who just don't care. If you cannot afford a private school consider homeschooling. It costs less. My sister home schools and has a private tutor come in once a week to help with things she may not be able to teach. Costs her 40 bucks each week. Her kids are doing much better than the average public schooler in our community.

Anonymous

• In my city it ranges from $1900-3500 a year for K-5, $4000 ish for middle school and about $8000 for high school. I would have to say that there is no difference in the education of the public and private schools in my city, other than the cost of private schools. Private schools are not always better, their teachers make less money than public school teachers. Some of the private schools have less resources or not as up to date resources as the larger public schools. It all depends on what you want for your children and what you can afford.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• We pay $9000/yr for private school. We live in a district with a very very dismal track record and my hubby thought it best (kiddo is my SD and I wasn't around for this decision). So far it has been a mixed bag. I'm super unhappy right now because thats a bunch of money for a school that touts itself as one of the best and she has THIRTY kids in her class! I think that's ridiculous. Academically they have a very advanced curriculum, but there is a LOT of work involved. I worry that the little guys will crack under some of the pressure they put on them. On the positive side, there are NO discipline problems and SD is very very good at reading (she's reading at a fourth grade level in 2nd grade).

My biggest concern however is social. B/c we are in private school there are zero neighborhood kids to play with. I lament that. I think play is just as important as good grades at this age.
    Mandipants

Answer by Mandipants at 11:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• We chose to have our sons go to a Charter school as well. No tuition and a better education than in most of our area public schools.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:04 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Our tuition is $2500/yr. The school is Catholic,but Im Christian. They ahve 30% Non Catholic (other Christians) enrollment. Education is great, they build self esteem and teach Christian values. Families are invoolved. I think it is worth every penny. Like others said our sports program isnt grea due to the small classes so they have sports, but we are never the best team lol but all kids get to play on the plus side.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• The private school that I was looking into wanted 9500 per year for pre-k. It went up every year after that. I believe that the high school years were right around $20,000 per year. I personally cannot afford that so I am looking at other options. I am trying to avoid public schools if at all possible due to the over crowding and poor reporting scores that the schools in our county have received.
    Anonymous