my grandson is 2 weeks old and he is hungry all the time can we put alittle baby cereal in his bottles?

memawbeth

Asked by memawbeth at 12:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no it is recommended that cereal be on hold until at least 4 months of age and if allergies are common in the family then closer to six months and we dont put cereal in bottles anymore unless recommended by our pedi for conditions liek reflux otherwise it should be given by a spoon
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 12:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Just start adding ouces of formula to what he already takes. I went through the same thing. I wouldnt add cereal just yet.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i tried giving my son some cereal in his bottle when he was about 2 months old and it did absolutley nothing. he was still just as hungry. just feed him more formula. my son started to come down at about 3 months old. he stopped eating as much & started sleeping through the night and now hes 4 months old and he just started eating cereal & fruit with a spoon.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• No. If he's hungry, give him more formula or breast milk. If you give him cereal, besides possible being harmful at such a young age, he will fill up on it, and then not consume the much needed formula or breast milk that has the calories needed for growth. If he's hungry, he needs the calories, not just some yucky filler. Does that make sense?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I've always heard that it causes allergies.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't recommend it. Up the ounces in his bottle. My daughter was like that. It will slow down in time. If he has to be fed every 2 hours, thats ok, even if its only an hour and a half. Feeding on demand is ok. It stinks to have to feed that often, but it will get better.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I would say no
    I have been reading a lot about bottle feeding, im planning on breastfeeding but always haveing a small thing of formula around the house just in case something happens and im not home...etc and it says to not give cereal in a bottle at all because it causes obesity in babies, and also cereal should be saved for when the baby can actually digest something solid or semi-solid.
    Anonymous

• No way not a 2 weeks there tummies can't handle it yet, just increase your feeding by an ounce or so, I would burp at the halfway point to avoid spitting up, he should be about 3-4 months before the cearl thing comes into play, good luck.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Lets see if i get bashed for this one! But i started cereal at 3wks old with my oldest it was because of reflux but with my middle son he was eating way to much formula so the doc told me to add cereal an i did an he was fine! An i plan on adding cereal to when my new baby hits the 3wk mark! Back in the day parents gave newborn babies cereal in there bottles an i bet most of the mommys on here had cereal before they were 4 months old! In my book its fine but u should really talk to a doc about it 1st! Gl
    Anonymous

• No way. Their digestive system has not developed enough...even started at 4 months is too soon. You should wait until your child wants to eat solids..they will let you know.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2009