what happens if im over my due date?

well i be 39 weeks tommorrow and im still 2 cm and 60% efface i get mild cramps but nothing yet what will happen if im still the same when i turn 40 weeks will they induce me im just worried cuz i dont want to end up gettin a c-section i feel im not makin progress i had walk and everything but nothing happens. my doctors told me the only way they take me in is if i get strong contractions or my water breaks they said even if i go up to 5 cm and no contractions they wont take me unless my water breaks or i get strong contractions what kind of shit is that some hospitals are weird...

datmami22

Asked by datmami22 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if nothing changes by your due date I think the latest they will really let you go over your date is a week and then they will either give you pitosin (spelled wrong) to induce you or schedule a c section. but it sounds like your atleast making progress. i would say if your that much over or not progressing they will induce you. :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i agree with olivia. if you wind up needing a csection dont worry. i had one and would do it again in a heartbeat. but it sounds like your gonna be fine
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• 40 weeks is the average time of full term, not over due. I'm not sure why they'd section you simply because you're 40 weeks and nothing is wrong. I went 15 days past my due date and then labored and sectioned. It was very very tough cuz I was so late. If you're five days past your due date and baby shows in tests you are past due, I'd start questioning hard why allow you to wait so long expecially since you are making progress. When I went in the hospital on my 14th day past dd I was only 5 centi with progress in labor since it started only four days before then.

But You are making progress to Baby's Birth. Focus on your body progressing and you breathing slow and out during this preparing for Baby. Baby's almost here Mommy. Just a bit longer. If you can try to get someone to be with you who will vocalize your decisions and help work out choices in delivery. Congratulations!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• If you go past your due date, you'll just be pregnant a little longer. Lots of women go past there due date. I've read several times on here that the average pregnancy for a first-time mome is 41 weeks 1 day. The only reason to induce or section you is if the baby is in some kind of distress and needs to come out immediately, which isn't necessarily the case just because you're overdue. And I don't know any hospital that will take a woman who's not in active labor unless her water's broken; that's standard, and there's no reason to be at the hospital until you're in active labor -- you'll be much more comfortable at home.

Don't let it worry you so much. I know it's uncomfortable to be so pregnant, but you don't have much longer, and then you'll forget how hard it was (and maybe even want to be pregnant again, lol). :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• youre very wise to not want to get induced, as it can lead to c-section. some OBs will start pressuring you to get induced even so early as 40w1day! but, remember, 40 weeks is just in the middle of normal, normal is actually between 38-42 weeks. if i were you, i would REFUSE to be induced unless there was some serious medical complication that made the risks of staying pregnant more dangerous than the risks of induction. most likely you will not have to worry about it. good OBs, imo, will not mention induction until past 41 weeks, & you will most likely go into labor on your own before then.

oh & it sounds like a good thing that they won't admit you into the hospital until youre really in labor. some hospitals will admit you even though you aren't in labor then pump you full of pitocin which is not good imo.

oh & i think PP is ridiculous to suggest that they would schedule a c-section for no reason other than being 41 w
    Anonymous

• sorry i ran out of room. i wanted to say that my son came naturally at 41 weeks, and i never had any of the crampiness you are describing until the day before and i was only like half a cm dilated, and my son was born after 12 hours of early labor (lots of crampiness) and about 7 hours of active labor. of course everyone is different but i am confident that you will deliver your baby by 42 weeks! :) good luck. sorry those first scared you by acting like you would have to get induce or a c-section just for being 41 weeks. 41 weeks is totally normal! congrats. :)
    Anonymous

• 40 weeks is full term. After 40 weeks your doctor will closely monitor you and baby to decide where things stand. If the baby is getting too large or the fluid too old, they may elect to induce you.

If induction is mentioned: discuss what kind of induction he/she has in mind and what it entails. When I was 2 weeks over due they simply broke my water. Contractions came naturally within a reasonable time frame.

The second time I was induced with a Cervadil Induction.

I would avoid Pitocin if at all possible. Usually this is only used to increase or strengthen contractions in a very slow labor or when where a long period of time has already passed since the water broke. Of course some Dr.'s with be Pitocin happy and attempt to administer it every chance they get.

Anonymous

• one more thing, you said you feel like you are not making progress but you are! you are even dilated and effaced which is pretty early for that really. even if you stick at 2 cm and 60%, your body is getting ready in other ways. you will do fine. just don't let them do anything you don't want (like induction). and stay out of the hospital until you are REALLY in labor, because being the hospital can sometimes slow things down from being in less comfy environment.
    Anonymous

• I'm past my due date and at 41 weeks they said they will do a stress test and look at the fluids and if everything is okay then i can just wait to go into labor or schedule to get induced. but if everything is not okay then they will induce as soon as they can.
    Mandy211

Answer by Mandy211 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• google primrose oil
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2009