Do you believe that love is unconditional??

If you truly thought you loved someone, but they ended up treating you like crap, and you no longer feel love for them, did you ever love them in the first place? Is real/true love unconditional, meaning that no matter what someone does to you, you will always love them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• Well, sometimes we fall in love with the person we THINK someone is.... and then they show their true colors. In those cases, we were truly in love.... it's just that what we loved never really existed. Or we fall in love with someone's true self, but something (maybe drugs or alcohol) changes the behavior of that person. The real person we fell in love with is still there.... but masked by the addiction.

You can love someone & not love being with them any more... you can still love someone from a distance if they are causing conditions which make you unhappy.

It's the same with any relationship - not just romantic. If my child grew up to be an axe murderer, I'd still love him - but he wouldn't be joining us for Christmas dinner... KWIM?
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I still love my ex--I am no longer in love with him. I don't know if you understand that. I love my current SO and I am also in love with him. I love my sister, but don't like her. Love to me is unconditional. I will always love everyone unconditionally.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I would say yes
    even when someone treats you crappy you still love them if its uncoditional the only difference then is that you realise that you love yourself more, which is good, and you put your foot down and leave.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• It's the same with any relationship - not just romantic. If my child grew up to be an axe murderer, I'd still love him - but he wouldn't be joining us for Christmas dinner... KWIM?

Very true. I love my adult son very much, but I cannot and will not have contact with him at this time for the rape of his sister (also my daughter). I love him but hate what he has done. It is difficult to reconcile within myself, but his minor sister needs my protection, love, and support much more at this time. I do not know how this will all work out later on down the road...I just take it one day at a time so as not to drive myself insane.
    Anonymous

• And if the man that I Love did not support me in this situation....I'm sorry to say that his butt would be right out the door. Whether I loved him or not.
    Anonymous

• Unconditional love exists but you have to make it so. Even when my DH cheated on me, it sucked, but I didn't just promise to love him when it was convienent or didn't hurt me. We stuck it out and now things are sooo much better and we're happy again. If I hadn't shown him what that unconditional love looked like, we'd have been divorced by now. Because the one thing I know for certain is that my MIL doesn't understand unconditional love at all, even for her son. Their family is very much into keeping score, holding grudges, and back-stabbing behavior.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 2:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• That's what unconditional love is. It's not just loving someone when it's convenient for you, and deciding you don't love them when they aren't being like you want them to be. It's loving them through it all. I don't believe in being a door mat, but I believe everyone deserves a 2nd chance. I am definitely an unconditional lover, or else my DH would already be long gone and out of my life.
    Anonymous

• Feelings of love can come and go all the time, that is why love is a decision, and love is unconditional. A person can feel and believe that they love someone, but when the feeling goes it wasn't ever really love in the first place, just lust and/or infatuation. I've been in that position myself.

The book The Secret of Staying in Love by John Powell is a really great book that helped me out in figuring out life.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 2:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I think it can be true love even if it is conditional. Some people and only in certain situations are capable of unconditional love.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I think love is conditional. nuff said
    Anonymous