I stopped breast feeding...

my breasts are hard and hurting. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Take a hot shower, that should relieve some of the pain. Did you wean your baby or stop cold turkey?
    Anonymous

• do you have a pump? pump the milk out! thats the only way.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Warmth and pumping will only continue to increase milk supply.

Apply cold compresses and wear a tight fighting bra 24/7. You can take Tylenol or Motrin for the discomfort.

obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 2:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• A heating pad and hot showers helped relieve pain during my first breast infection.
    Ice packs tucked inside my bra helped relieve pain during my second breast infection.

The least painful way I've experienced to stop breastfeeding is by slowing down gradually. Pump just enough to get the pressure off and pump less often.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 2:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Chilled Cabbage leaves. Put them in your bra. When they get warm, replace them with new ones. If you are extremely uncomfortable, you can pump just enough to relieve pressure, but not enough to drain the breast. If you pump any more then an ounce from each breast, it will just stimulate you to make more milk.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I agree with the following...
    warm bath will draw some milk out for temporary relief
    pump ONLY a little bit for relief
    slowly wean, gradually

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• If you're stopping for good, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use anything warm. Warmth will ONLY stimulate your milk supply. COLD is what you need. Go buy a cabbage and some cold compresses (like lunch box ice packs, you know). Tear off a few cabbage leaves and stick them in your bra. Also, make sure to wear a sports bra or a regular bra from now on. You need something tight against your boobs to inhibit the supply. The pain? Well, that'll take about four or five days to go completely away. That's called engorgement, and it sucks so much ass. But honestly, if you pump or put anything warm on it, it's just going to make the engorgement last longer.

Trust me, I know. I went through it for the first two weeks after my daughter came home. I kept taking hot showers to relieve the pain (after I'd decided to stop BFing) and it made it last much longer than it should've. The cabbage worked wonders.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Put up with the pain. It will only last a few days then will get better very quickly. DONT pump as it will only make your body make more milk. You want it to stop you have to stop pumping. Hot baths hels as does wearing a tight cup fitting bra and leave the bra on all the time. In less than 5 days your boobs wont be hurting. Thats how I coped with it anyways. Ask your Dr for that Dry up your milk pill. Dont know if they still give it but it dosnt hurt to ask.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2009