Tolerance

I try to teach my daughter modesty . Nothing extreme, just the proper way to present yourself (shorts or skirts too short, t-shirts under spaghetti strap clothing) Well today while driving down the road she was playing with her Ariel and Jasmine dolls and she said to me "Mama, do you not like Jasmine and Ariel because they show their boobies and their bellies?" And before I answered I thought for a minute and thought to myself this is a great way to teach tolerance and judgement. So I answered her " just because Jasmine and Ariel dress different than you and I do, it doesn't mean I don't like them. I don't choose to show my skin like that but it doesn't mean they are bad for showing theirs. I bet they are really nice". She had a big smile on her face and said " I like them too". Have you ever realized that the answer you give is shaping their opinion? Have you had experiences like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Many more than I can name.

It is true when people say, "you are your childs future"
    Anonymous

• Of course..... we all have moments like that. But really, I want to say GOOD JOB MOMMA!!!! Thank you for taking the time to teach your child tolerance and understanding and to not be judgmental. I wish more parents would think like that. We are not defined by the clothes we wear, the color of our skin or what we look like. GOOD JOB!
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 2:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Absolutely! It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to screw up another human being. Parenting is in my estimation, the most important undertaking a human being can have. Kids are like a sponge when they are young. By your fruits they shall know you!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Oh absolutely! I try to teach my kids by my and actions as well as my words.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Great answer,Momma!! Now if only we could get people to learn this lesson in tolerance for all cultures!
    Anonymous