Did you look at the engagement ring before giving your answer?

When my husband proposed to me I said yes as soon as I realized what he was doing and didn't bother to look at the ring for a long time. Every time he tells the story of proposing he still to this day says "she didn't even look at the ring before she answered!!!" It is a small ring, inexspensive, but I could care less, I would have said yes if he had no ring and the size of the ring CERTAINLY didn't play any sort of role in my answer. He seems to think that most girls would think about it differently, which I think is petty, but whatever, to each their own. So did you look at the ring before you would answer? Would any of you had said no if he could only afford a very tiny ring? Would you have said no if he had no ring at all?

shawneewaiting

Asked by shawneewaiting at 2:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Nope. I did not. He chose a very beautiful, simple but elegant ring, but we already had agreed to get married before he gave me the ring. The ring was just a formality, and he surprised me with it. It was sweet. He said he could have chosen a bigger "rock" for the same price, but the quality would have been lesser. Besides, he knows I am not big on jewelery. So, no, it did not matter to me.
    PrincesaBoricua

Answer by PrincesaBoricua at 2:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• LOL...He didn't have a ring when he proposed. I didn't care, I knew he was the man I was going to spend my life with so the ring was insignificant. IMO if you have to see the size of the ring before you answer...you probably shouldn't say yes anyway because your priorities are all wrong.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• no ring...i got one a year or so later---it was small but what he could afford...then he got me a bigger one b/c he didnt want me to have a little one...but i prefer the smaller one :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• If anyone who was actually in love with the man who was proposing said no for any of those reasons than she didnt need to be with him anyways, or deserve to get married IMO..... I think that would be very selfish of a woman. So, tell hubby that the size of the ring never matters when you are actually in love. (and obviously you werent worried about the ring, you were in love with him, so remind him of that too)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 2:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• No, the ring was irrelevant, it was the man that I wanted.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• What ring? I proposed to him. (he did surprise me with one a few days later, though)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• We went shopping for my first engagement ring together. He told me as we shopped and he thought about things that I could choose the ring that was bigger. But that was a lesser quality or I could have a diamond that was smaller but better quality than the bigger diamond.

I chose the smaller diamond. Mine cost 300.00. When we were married 22 years he bought me a diamond ring for my birthday with a large center diamond and two smaller diamonds on each side surrounding it.

I did not judge my first diamond to accept it or not.
    Anonymous

• No ring when he proposed. The proposal took me by surprise, and I took a day to think about it logically even though my heart told me what it wanted me to do. I accepted the next day. And we shopped together for a ring the next week. I went away to school the next weekend, and that ring meant a lot to me during those times when I missed him so much. But to answer the question, no, the ring wasn't part of the deal as far as my accepting. LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 3:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• well my original "ring" was his grandmother's wedding band. He had been wearing it on his pinky for weeks. It was like 5 or 6 mm wide mostly platinum band that had yellow gold at the top band bottom. There was a design to the platinum that were like tiny studs or whatever. When I first saw it on his hand, I told him it reminded my of a thimble! He then told me that his grandmother told him to give it to the woman he was going to marry. I felt bad then, but didn't think much about it. A few weeks later he handed it to me and asked if I understood what it meant that he was giving it to me. I said yes to both questions. So yes, while I saw the ring, it wouldn't have made a difference. Consequently, she wanted the band back after we got married, and I know I will never see it again. :-(
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 3:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Gosh I'm so glad to hear everybody's answers. I wonder if the women who felt differently are just not answering. Good job ladies, you give me hope:)LOL
    shawneewaiting

Answer by shawneewaiting at 3:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2009