Is my DS the only almost 18 month old who can't say mama?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does she have a vocab at all? its not about the words but if she is up to speed
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• OP- his only regular word is dog. Every once in a while he will say yes and hi. But that's it. He understands things really well though. And he talks all the time, just not real words.
    Anonymous

• if concerned talk to his dr. otherwise dont worry about it. kids learn things at their own pace :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• If he calls something the same thing on a regular basis, it is a "word" even if it doesn't sound like what you think it should. My son calls his nose "boz." He doesn't say mama either (every once in a blue moon he will). He calls me dada, and thinks it's funny to do so. If you are concerned, talk to your ped about it at his 18 month well visit.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 2:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• my son is 34 months, and just now started saying mama. quit worrying. the only 2 words my son says are mama and dada.
    Anonymous

• Our son did not say his first word until 18 months, and he said mama at age 2. But he is Autistic.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:17 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My dd said mama, dada, and ball.... that was it! no other sounds for anything until the day she turned 19 mos. Mama was only if I was missing, dada was right after he deployed and she wondered the house looking for him, ball only if she seen a ball. The day she turned 19 mos she took off! Now she is almost 23 mos and is starting to speak sentences. She understood what I was saying just didn't want to talk. Now i can't get her to stop! LOL He will catch on before you know it!!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• my son is 22 months old and doesnt say mama he says ga ga for da da and calls me that he can say mama ill say who am I and he'll say mama but he just likes to say dada he can say probably 30 or more words but not all the time I have to say whats that and he'll say what it is he says no all the time and stop although it sounds like gop he also meows like a cat instead os saying cat and barks like a dog instead of saying dog but he understands much more things than he can actually say which I have been told is good
    MoMMyto2971

Answer by MoMMyto2971 at 9:07 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• No, my cousin's little boy hardly said anything at 18 mos. He's saying a few more words now, but needs prompting. You can ask your pediatrician if speech therapy is necessary now or in the future. Best wishes!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 3:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2009