Is this a weird lunch?

I have been sending my 7 kids to school with Bento box type lunches since my 15 year old was in pre-school. The new director at my 3 yo preschool asked me yesterday not to send any more "weird lunches" she said they were distracting to the other kids. Her lunch yesterday was 2 small sushi rolls (cucumber, avocado, rice), a fruit salad, 1/2 an almond butter and jelly sandwich, a small chunk of goat cheese (her fav) and carrots with hummus. All 6 of my older children took pretty much exactly the same lunch just bigger versions. I checked the student handbook and there is nothing in it about lunches besides the fact that they must be nutritious. This was the 1st time dd had taken lunch to school. I feel there is nothing wrong with her lunch and the kids will get used to it. Am I wrong? Should I buy plastic baggies and feed her foods I don't generally allow in my house? Or should I fight this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would fight it. It is healthy and thats all that matters. who the hell is she to call it weird??!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Too bad for the pre-school...The kids will get used to it and they might even ask their moms for some of that "weird" stuff...and as the PP said who the hell is she to call it weird???
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Fight it, that is the most absurd thing I have ever heard in my life! (ok, not really, but thats just NUTS!!) Seriously, they cant make you send things you dont normally allow your children to eat, and if the other kids are amazed by what your dd has, the teacher should be taking the time to talk about different foods. And what you packed isnt weird at all, its what you and your family eat. I would go above her head in a heart beat and continue packing lunch for your daughter like you are.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 2:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• If there isn't anything about it in the handbook, then I would definitely fight it. Just tell the director that this is a normal lunch at your house. You are being eco-friendly and sending healthy lunches, the other kids will get used to it in time.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 2:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I agree with CaLizzy and SuperMom + the catty side of me wants you to offer to teach her about nutrition and respecting other cultures and ways of life
    seriously judgmental and unproffesional of her.
    She is new huh. I'd nip that right in the bud... not an approopate way to talk to a parent and if she talks to you like that how is she with the kids.
    nope... makes me nervous
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• That is so out there. Please he needs an education in food and to learn to mind his business. It is not like peanut butter LOL. What will be next no foreign foods?
    Anonymous

• why is the director involved? Shouldnt the teacher be contacting you if there is a prob?
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• did she ask you this in person? if so what did you say?
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• OP here - This isn't an ethnic thing and the bento boxes didn't even start out as an enviornmental thing. They were a cheap mom thing. lol I couldn't stand the thought of buying plastic bags that would just be thrown away.

The director is involved because she's the main teacher at lunch time, only about 20 kids choose to stay for lunch. We've always done lunch once a week, gives me an extra hour to run errands. She did ask me this in person, I asked her what she thought was so weird about it. She said it was mostly the actual box. (plain purple lidded box, with 5 smaller containers inside) but the food was causing some problems as well. I told her I would discuss it with my husband and get back to her. My husband says to ignore her and continue to send our normal lunches.
    Anonymous

• tell her to mind her own beeswax and that you will send your kid to school with the food (s)he enjoys.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2009