Does anyone know a good way to detangle biracial hair?

My daughter's hair is so hard to detangle!!! It's thick and curlyand so hard to get a comb through! I haven't found anything that works. Please help if know if you know of any good products for hair like this. Many thanks!

Jazzmin7

Asked by Jazzmin7 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Have you tried the pink oil spray? It is the only thing that works on my nieces hair. Also, go check a couple places that sells hair stuff for african american hair, I know that they will be able to help you the most. And try a very wide tooth pick comb type comb, it will probably be easier
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 2:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes, wide tooth comb, and LOTS of detangler when hair is wet. When I babysat bi-racial kids, I washed their hair with detangling shampoo, and used a wide tooth comb to comb conditioner through their hair. It also helped detangle it. Then spray detangler on right after bath time an comb it. Brushes did not work.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 3:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i actually answered a question like this b4.when you wash her hair get a leave in conditioner that detangles hair and comb her hair out while its still wet.braids do make hair more manageable.if shes old enough for a relaxer that can help, but only get a relaxer if her hair is nappy at the roots.
    very little leave in conditioner though so dandruff doesnt become an issue.comb it out with the conditioner in it.braids are a hairs best friend.its up to you what kind of braids you want if you do them.cornrows are the easiest.grease her hair so it doesnt get dry. i have mixed hair and it wasnt easy doing mine when i was little.thank god for relaxers lol. if you have any more questions feel free to write me
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 3:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I untangle my hair in the shower. what i do is i wet it obviously and then once im done putting the conditioner i leave it one for about 2-3 minutes. right before i wash it out i untangle it with a brush. and it works out good for me.
    ABBY90

Answer by ABBY90 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My kids are biracial and we were having this same problem.  It depends on what type of hair she actually has.  Take her to a professional and see what they recommend.  Thats what we did and it was worth the money especially after all of the money we went through trying to find products that work with her hair.  It was recommended that we use Palmers Oil Spray and it has worked WONDERS!  If you can't afford to go to a professional, I would definitely say try that.  Wash and condition her hair like normal and then spray the Palmers on her hair, that should do the trick.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• In Chicago, there is a salon that teaches kids how to take care of their "ethnic" hair; check around your area...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• detangler. and always use a comb or your fingers. i have to finger comb my hair in the shower with loads of conditioner.
    siren_sexy

Answer by siren_sexy at 1:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2009