Formula + cereal...

My 3 1/2 month old has been eating 8 oz every 3 hours on the dot. I decided he needed a bit more, so I added 1 tbsp. Gerber rice cereal to a 6 oz bottle and it still doesn't seem like enough. I added 2 tbsp. to a 6 oz bottle and the nipple got clogged (I do have the faster flow nipples). I need to try to warm the water a bit more so the cereal can dissolve a little bit better, but does anybody have any advice on how to balance out the volume of his bottles to the tbsp. of cereal I need to add? How did it work for any of you who have/had hungry little hippos? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• for my first born i just add pne spoon full of cereal and to an 8 ozs bottel feed her and if she still was not full just redo it agina tell he or she is full that what i did for mine
    amyershoney

Answer by amyershoney at 3:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Why not use the cereal in 8 oz of formula?
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 3:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I was taking advice from a friend to lower the ounces and add cereal. I'm going to try the 8 oz + 1 tbsp of cereal. I've had so much conflicting advice from books to friends to my doctor. Doc said no added rice whatsoever, but the formula just isn't enough for him. BM never satisfied him either, then unfortunately I stopped producing completely (very, very stressful time). I hate the trial and error parts of parenting! I'm so glad everybody is here to give experienced advice!!
    Anonymous

• Why not feed the cereal from a spoon?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• i would feed the cereal from a spoon. I started my son on cereal around that time spoon feeding, because he wasn't getting enough. He's a big boy, not fat, but is a hungry healthy baby. lol
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I'll try the spoon, but I'm not sure what quantities to make of both the cereal and formula. What are your suggestions?
    Anonymous

• NEVER feed a baby cereal from a bottle without a medical reason. Baby being hungry means baby needs more nutrition not empty calories, add more formula not cereal. If you wish to feed baby cereal do so by spoon NEVER by bottle!!!!!  Also as you see adding the cereal does nothing to fill baby up because baby needs actual 'food' to be filled according to baby's needs.

Anonymous

• If your set on feeding him solids, just make a small amount in a bowl, and play it by ear, so to speak. Always feed solids after a nursing or a bottle. They are secondary. Start off thin, and see what consistency and amount work best for you and baby. However, if this were me, I'd still wait longer before doing solids. That's just me though.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I add 2 table spoons to my 5 month olds 6 oz bottle but I do that becaus she will even on the new born smallest nipples drink her formula way to fast and it was making her sick.
    purplecraze579

Answer by purplecraze579 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2009