Oral Herpes in Toddlers?

My son may have oral herpes infection. He had a fever for a few days and the doctor thought it was the flu, and gave him Tamiflu without doing a flu test (that's another story). I ditched the tamiflu after 2 days. I noticed his gums are swollen and they started to bleed when I brushed his teeth. Upon further inspection I noticed sores on his gums. He also has a sore throat/raspy voice and he has lost his appetite. The fever is gone though. I looked up these symptoms and it seems he has an oral herpes outbreak. I called his doctor's afterhours line and the lady I talked to told me there is no treatment for it. She really didn't help much with my questions. So I'll ask MOMS like me! Has anyone's child ever had this (I'm sure there are some out there!) and is it going to affect him his whole life? Like, is he going to have to take Valtrex when he is older? Treatment? I really have NO EXP with this, and any answers will help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Health

• Are you sure it's not something like hand foot and mouth disease? Or something else that causes sores in the mouth?
    Anonymous

• Sometimes strep throat can cause sores in the mouth. Take him back to the doctor and demand he do a more thorough exam. It also could have been an allergic reaction to the Tamiflu. Don't jump to conclusions. Take him to a different doctor if you have to.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Oral Herpes - Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

Definition of Oral Herpes; Description of Oral Herpes; Symptoms of Oral Herpes; Treatment of Oral Herpes; Questions To Ask Your Doctor About Oral Herpes ...
    www.healthscout.com/ency/68/253/main.html
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Herpes Simplex - Treatment for Oral Herpes

Oct 1, 2006 ... Oral Treatments. Acyclovir (Zovirax), valacyclovir (Valtrex), and famciclovir (Famvir) -- the anti-viral pills used to treat genital herpes ...
    www.healthcentral.com/...herpes/introduction-000052_10-145.html
    vbruno

• If these sores are inside the mouth - on his gums - and turn white after the first couple of days, it is not a herpes virus. Herpes presents it self externally --- fever blisters/cold sores on & around the lips.

Those would be canker sores which can be caused by a number of things -- often they occur with no apparent reason & continued outbreaks can be expected throughout life. I get them on occasion & have determined it's a hormonal thing with me as I tend to get them just before my period.

They, like someone else said, ALWAYS show up with strep throat. In fact, it was when I had strep at 15 that I first had them.

Your son needs a throat culture to rule out strep - and quickly. I wouldn't wait 'til Monday for that. Strep can get BAD. If that's not it, it can be treated with OTC mouth sore medicines or a prescription "cocktail" to make it temporarily numb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphthous_ulcer
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Oh.. and they are EXTREMELY painful --- I'd recommend not brushing that area of his mouth until it heals or at least numbing it up first.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Tamiflu for a baby? Unless he had other medical issues, the side effects are potentially much worse than the virus. Take your child to the doctor, then find a new doctor.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:56 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Here I am almost a year later, looking on forums because my 3-year-old daughter was just diagnosed with HSV (oral herpes) this morning, after coughing up blood, acting very lethargic, and having a fever. Turns out the blood she was coughing up was from the cold sores in her mouth :-( We were very disheartened to find out this news, as we know that it is a virus that she will have for the rest of her life; however, all subsequent outbreaks won't be as severe, and there are anti-viral meds for lessening the severity of the virus. Of course we feel guilty, like we didn't do everything to protect our dear girl, but as I've been reading, toddlers and babies contracting oral herpes is very, very common, and practically unavoidable. They can get it from putting contaminated toys in their mouths at daycare, or sharing spoons/cups with family members, or simply kissing them. So kudos to you for posting--there IS strength in numbers!
    NewMom_Jul

Answer by NewMom_Jul at 1:53 AM on Oct. 25, 2010