Spin off of the Adam Question...

If Adam was given all the animals to name how is it that there is no place on earth (excluding the Zoo) where all animals can live?

Also, why did he need to name the animals? Today we are still finding new animals and naming them. So, his names for them really don't matter, why waist his time?

Or was God just trying to show him he was alone and see how long it took him to figure it out??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• IMO that all has to do with evolution (which I believe in, creator assisted evolution). There weren't as many animals back then and with the different climates around the world different animals adapted to their environment. There aren't enough resources in one single place, or enough room for ALL the animals to have remained in one spot...perhaps if that happened we wouldn't have the variety of animals we do now and we wouldn't have as many because of competition and survival of the fittest and all that. (Hope that makes sense, not something I really thought about before and I was kind of thinking as I was going :-)
    Anonymous

• I think your last statement is probably correct. God wanted him to see that he was alone! As far as the animals are concerned, you have to remember that there were far less animals when they were created. All snakes came from probably one pair. All dogs, horses, cows - all came from two original!! I recently read a study done by scientists - they were able to get all different kinds of snakes to mate and produce offspring by masking their scents. As animals became more in number and moved about the earth, you eventually started to get more specific types in each kind of animal. Some survived better in different areas so we have the polar bear in the north, etc. (Also interesting to note, this would also make it more possible for Noah to EASILY fit all animals on the ark - he only had to bring 2 sheep, 2 cows, 2 horses, etc.)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Did it ever occur to that maybe God made more animals over time?
    Anonymous

• Just as a note... I also believe in Creator Guided Evolution... And don't believe in the Creation Story one bit... But this kinda popped in to my head and I wondered what you all thought.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Maybe that's how Adam was paid. Maybe God gave in the job in return for something else like food or shelter.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I think the point of that part of the story is to underline the fact that humans were to have domination over & be superior to everything else in the world. Something the writers seemed to feel it was important to emphasize.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• nysa00, good point. I didn't think of that but it goes with that whole naming something gives you superiority. Somewhat like we do with domesticated animals.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I'd like to know how he found the time to name every freakin' aminal in the world. That must have been some parade.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• what does the bible say about it? shouldn't the proof come from the book instead of people's guessing? or if not, what do those who study it at the highest level say?
    Anonymous

• The bible says a day is like a thousand years in the bible, and a thousand years is as a day.

Now If you consider the world as you would a fish tank, with God being the proprietor standing on the outside.

You add something slowly to the tanj to see how it reacts.

Now consider Adam as a child to God, he would slowly bring each animal to Adams attention, in Adams memory, he named all the animals, but isn't it far more likely God, as the parent, whispered the names in his ear?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2009