What do you do if a 2 1/2 year old won't take a time out?

I have been giving her the option to get a spanking if she won't go to her time out and it's been working very well, but I'm going to be watching another child soon so I can't do that anymore. I don't think she gets long term consequences so I need the consequence to be immediate and important to her. Any ideas to make a defiant two year old take a time out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• keep putting her in there. watch a few episodes of supernanny and youll get it. it has always worked for me. no more yelling either. get down at her level and explain whats going on and when she refuses just ignore her and keep putting her in time out until she sits
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Maybe explain to the 2 year old what they did wrong and maybe ask if they understand this. If they continue to do it find out why by asking them.
    Anonymous

• Agreed. Be consistent. If you're doing time-outs and she won't stay there you keep putting her back there until she does. She'll get it eventually.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 4:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• You have to enforce the time outs. If she gets up put her right back in and start the clock all over again.

What about reward charts too? List things for your child to do and they get a sticker for everything that is listed. At the end of the day give them a special treat from a goody box.
    Anonymous

• You MAKE him/her./ Hold them there if you have to.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Time out is a little over rated. Even on Super Nanny. And I wouldn't "make" her stay. My son is almost three and now puts himself in what he calls "personal space" or sometimes "personal time." It didn't just magically happen. We taught him personal time, deep breathing to calm down on his own. When your child has a fit or is not listening tell her she needs some personal space and time. Sit with her in her room and help her do some deep breathing to calm down. You show her how by breathing calmly. If she is screaming just sit quietly on her bed holding her gently. I even hold him and rock him. Then if she broke something or spilled something (whatever) have her clean it up or throw it away or whatever the natural consequence is. Be calm. Don't yell. She may cry and cry. That is okay. Just explain there are no bad feelings and tears are good. If she is screaming just tell her that she can't yell next to you.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Place her in her room on her bed. Or put yourself in your own personal space. Go to the bathroom and close the door. Tell her gently you need space and her yelling is not healthy for you. Taking away my son's toys and putting the toys in time out sometimes works better for us as well. We set the timer on the microwave and when the timer goes off he can play with the desired toy again. It took a lot of work but my child is at a point where when he knows he is upset he immediately says he just needs a break to figure it out. Then we talk about it and find a solution. "Making" him might work in the short term but it only teaches I'm bigger and because I said so. If you want to raise a thinker who truly understands use compassion, teaching, and corrective action. Love and Logic great books. Try also attatchment parenting. It is never too late to try different methods.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes to frogdawg. =) Your child needs to learn how to deal with your emotions versus just fearing consequences.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 6:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Time out can only be 2 min for her age and she will just think it's a game. Spanking only teaches her that you are mean and don't know how to parent not to mention it shows her that hitting is ok so expect her to hit whoever you will be babysitting. I'm sure she chose the option of child abuse/hitting. Geez, if you can't watch a 2 yr old without hitting how do you expect to be able to handle another one? Take some classes to learn how to parent without abusing an innocent 2 yr old. I thank God none of you abusing spankers were my mom.

Anonymous

• Keep putting the child in the time-out chair/step/mat and conitune doing so until the child will stay for the full 2 minutes.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2009