Do you think animals can sense if a person is bad?

My Mother has this new boyfriend. Well she brings him over a lot. He is a strange kinda guy. He always seems irritated, but he has always been nice the few like 4 times i met him. Well my very loveable playful cat who loves EVERYONE is deathly afraid of him. When she brings him over my cat freaks out and runs and hides. If the cat is in one of the rooms with the door open and that man comes over he hides under the beds or anything else he can wedge into and wont come out... What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Pets

• It could be her sensing something or just could be his features. if he looks diff then the avg person that is at your house then she'll react diff. Its hard to base it on that alone. Go with what you're feeling. If you sense something thats what matters. The cat may too but you cant go with that alone. My bfs dog hated his grandpop and only his grandpop but he is a nice guy. So maybe this guy doesnt like animals and your cat can sense his uneasiness towards her
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes they can sense this sort of thing. I had a cat that was extremely shy had been a semi feral cat when i adopted her 14 years ago. My friends and family referred to Winnie as "the ghost cat" because they NEVER saw her unless i was holding her. Winnie LOVED my husband, when we were dating she was all over him. I was so shocked and a bit jealous that she warmed up to him so fast. It took me a year and a half to win her trust. BUt i knew it was also a sign that he was a keeper which i already knew but that cinched it. I also had a dog growing up that hated a friend of mine. That friend is in jail, he has a violent temper though i never saw it my husband did( we dated as teens before i got Winnie) I had to put Bodger up when he came over and Bodger never acted that way towards anybody else in his life.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Yes, animals have hightned senses.

There is something about him thats not right. It could just be that he is not a pet person or is hiding something.more, maybe he is uncomfortable cause he is a new to the family.

Animals depend on humans, if they are uneasy he will have a reason to feel uneasy. because humans are his protectors and providers.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• No, but they can sense when the person is uncomfortable and can also feed off of others in the room. It's possible the boyfriend has another cat, or just doesn't like the way he "moves". Animals are all about behavior and smell. If they move or smell different from the "norm" they are going to be wary. Your cat reacts by avoiding the situation entirely.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 7:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• my gray cat actually ran away for a week after one of my friends stayed over for a few days and he doesnt like cats, but she is scared of everyone except me, hubby and kids but she never ran away before. this dog we had didnt like black people. we took him to petsmart one day and we were by the door and people kept walking in and he was looking at them but didnt care and the first black couple that walked in the door he barked vicously (sp) at.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 7:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I think dogs can, probably cats can too. We had a family dog when my kids were younger, and this dog loved all kids. One day my son brought a friend home and the dog went ballistic on him. I actually had to put the dog in the backyard and tell the boys to play in the front. The boys were only about 12 or 14 at the time. 4-5 years later that kid was arrested for murder. I still think maybe there was something about him that the dog could sense.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• There is a reason that so many animals survive huge storms, etc- they can sense them. I would think that it is reasonable to believe that if they are that intune to physical nature, they are pretty sensitive to a person's nature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I believe that animals (especially dogs and cats) and babies/young children are excellent judges of character. If one of my dogs didn't like someone to the point that they were hiding or growling/hackles up then I would pay attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Animals are very sensitive to people's emotions. Why is your mom's bf always irritated?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I have no clue why he is. He just seems like he is all the time. Or like he is annoyed... Its kinda annoying to me that he is that way
    Anonymous