Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I go about starting an at home baking/candy business?

I make homemade hard candy/lollipops, chocolates, and all kinds of baked goods. What would be the best way to get my name out there for some business? Thank you for all of your help and advice.

Answer Question

Asked by MyGirlParadise at 4:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 11 (596 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Go to They sell kits that give you a site and everything.




    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

  • If you are doing this out of your home, check with your local health dept for codes. I know in my area and in most areas you have to have a kitchen that is separate from your home kitchen or else your home kitchen has to be up to code for a food selling establishment.

    If you don't want to go that route, you shouldn't advertise publicly, but I do know that word-of-mouth advertising works!!! Good luck!!!

    Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

  • I have some excellent articles I have put together at eHow.   They contain great ideas on how to start businesses and other information I think would be useful to you.  You can check them all out in my website:


    Answer by m-avi at 11:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

  • I agree with Michigan Mom.....

    Also....if the case is that your house is not up to code to do this.......alot of people start out by renting time/space in their local hotels kitchen...

    I saw this on cable a year or so ago. A woman rented space from them to get her goods out there..which were pies I think....and soon she had enough orders in, and was able to save to get her own shop!

    Also you should check out with the city too as if you are to sell anything, say at a conveinience store or store counter, you may need a peddlers license.

    DO check out the two links the other moms poster for sure though!

    Good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • Write your business plan. First, you need to get your sanitation license. Then, you need to have your home kitchen certified or (easier and cheaper) find a commercial kitchen to rent. Next, get your Federal and State tax IDs and a local business license (if required).
    I have worked with several startups in the past; contact me offlist if you have any questions.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:36 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.