Personal Protection Order

***I have NO idea what section to put this under...if you feel it belongs under another, please let me know which one and I'll move it.***

Is this the same as a restraining order?

How long do you have to file for one of these?

While I haven't had much contact with my abusive ex since I left in June (and found out 2 weeks later I was pregnant), I fear that as I get closer to my due date he may begin harassing me. He hit my daughter the day that I left him and while I was with him he joked to a friend that "every other girl he's gotten pregnant he's just had his friend punch them until they miscarry." While that's unlikely, I still fear something like that. Do I have to wait until harassment begins, or am I able to protect myself, and my daughter from him now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Health

• I'm sure that is violence at its' most strongest!!!! Congratulations for having the strength to leave the sob!!!! Now have the strength to follow through and make sure that your friends and family, neighbors know your license plates and your whereabouts. Give them pix of him in case he's in your neighborhood.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for your input and advice. I've been turning blue trying to make my friends and family aware of everything since I kept it quiet the entire time and everyone else only saw the "perfect" Mr. Wonderful side of him.
    Anonymous

• with the things he has said to you alone you can get a restraining order do it now and have one less thing to worry about. If he violates it he will go to jail period. There are laws in place to protect women like you and I have who have been victims of abuse and had the guts to say "I wont take it anymore!"
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 5:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233)

Answer by rkoloms at 8:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Thank you very much for that hotline number!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2009