Always Hungry

My 3 year old complains (I say complains because she just plain ol' whines about it) that she is hungry nearly constantly. She will eat a normal meal-sometimes adult sized, and within 10 minutes it's, "I'm hungry!" Everyday, non-stop sometimes. I'm just not sure whether she's full of it or is truely hungry. I feel like I'm over feeding her and while she IS a very heavy child, she is not "fat". When she says she is hungry, I always offer her something to drink thinking she is actually thirsty, despite having a cup or two of something with her food. Then, I will offer her something healthy like fruit or veggies.

My midwife asked if we've had her growth hormone checked and we haven't since her ped sees nothing wrong with her growth since it's been steady and has not spiked at all. Should I? What else should I look out for?

Any input on this? Anything I should be looking out for?

madelyns_momma

Asked by madelyns_momma at 5:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• is she bored and eating more out of boredom than she is out of hunger. when i know my daughter just ate and she says shes hungry, i'll try to distract her w/something else and if she really is hungry she'll let me know. more than half the time though, shes just bored and wants something else to do.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• could be: thyroid. Control issues. Maybe get checked by a doctor.
    Anonymous

• my niece was like that and they checked her blood and she's hypoglycemic
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Is she getting enough protein and balanced meals?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I try to get her enough protein and balance her meals as much as I can.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 9:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My daughter seems to have phases of eating like a grown man at a tailgate party, then other phases where I can barely get her to eat at all. My daughter is also a natural "grazer". Our Ped agreed when I suggested leaving a certain number of items out all day, so she had easy access. I transformed the bottom crisper drawer into Kid Food, things like string cheese, sliced cheeses and meats, things that she can manage on her own. My daughter doesn't like cold fruit or veggies, so I cut broccoli or cauliflower or carrots (really hardy, won't get gross lookin) and usually a piece of fruit, a plum or apple, sometimes a peach and set it in a bowl of water so it doesn't brown with a slice of lemon. This way she can help herself throughout the day, and doesn't overeat at breakfast/lunch..because she is free fed throughout the day she is also less likely to overeat at dinner as well. After dinner all the snacks are put up...it helps
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 10:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• Is she vegetarian? I have come across two kids that are like that and not sure if the reason is that they are Vegetarian or just a coincidence.
    FriendlyMoma

Answer by FriendlyMoma at 11:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• She doesn't prefer meat, but no, she's not a vegetarian.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 4:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2009