Is it OK for my 11 year old DD to shave her pubic hair?

My 11 year old DD recently started shaving her legs and underarms. Last night she came to me and said she thought her pubic hair was gross and asked if it was OK for her to shave it also. I was completely shocked. From what she told me, this appears to be quite normal these days for the girls to shave down below. Have any of you heard of this or experienced it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• personally, i think you answered very aptly.
    i shave for comfort, and hygiene. nothing grosser than icky menstrual mess in hair! i also used to swim competitively, and it was bothersome.
    anyone who shaves/waxes regularly for comfort understands that if you're careful, you can avoid razor burn, and nicks. it takes time to learn, and be comfortable enough not to worry about it though. and if you have ever had problems with yeast infections, then shaving may be the cure. taking away the hair that harbors the little buggers.

seriously, very common, nothing sexual about it- despite what some may say. i started around the age of 11 myself. i would not be overly concerned. it is her body, and if she feels more comfortable that way, then there is nothing harmful in security of self image, and comfort.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:26 PM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I never knew women shaved their pubic hair until I was well out of high school. I played sports and had gym class, but I never EVER showered with the other girls. I was too self conscious. But I do remember seeing some shaved girls in the locker room. Not shaved completely most of the time... but trimmed and such.

I dunno what I would do. You can't stop her. I mean... if you say no, how are you going to enforce it? Tell her that there is nothing gross about her pubic hair, that all women have it, it's normal and a sign of becoming a woman, but if she really wants to then you can't stop her.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I think legs and underarms are good enough. When it comes to that area the bikini line should be the only placed shave of course for bathing suit perposes. I didnt shave until i was 12 and didnt shave that area until i was about 15. What did you say to her?
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• I would have a talk with her. there is a reason she knows to shave that area. Im not saying sex but something along those lines
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• ack if you let her buy her some Bikini Zone Medicated Creme. or she'll be in pain! shaving down there she will have irritation, redness & itching. Bikini Zone will help that. Honestly though I would tell my daughter not too. I tried it once when I first starting shaving, I learned my lesson quick!
    Anonymous

• I told her that if it really bothers her, she should shave as much of it as she feels comfortable doing. Also to be careful with the razor not to cut herself. I really don't think her asking has anything to do with sex. I immediately went on line and did some research and it appears that removal of pubic hair, beyond just the typical trimming, is really very common among older teens and adults who are pretty much taking it all off, and not for sexual reasons, but for hygiene, and peer pressure seems to be playing a role too. My feeling is it does grow back and isn't permanent, like a tattoo. Now that I'd have a real problem with at 11.
    Anonymous

• Yes, there's a good chance that once she tries it, she'll feel the itch, irritation and bumps I hear you get from shaving, and she'll stop. No matter, it's not something that really bothers me. I guess these kids need to experiment with these things and find out for themselves.
    Anonymous

• When I was 11 my parents let me buy a razor and didn't ask me any questions about where or why I was shaving - they just told me to be very careful while shaving.

So, I had a swimming session coming up with friends one week and I didn't want any embarrassing hairs to show through or at the side of my swim suit - so I shaved it all off.
    Nothing "sexual" or trying to be adult or anything like that - I just felt better with it all gone.
    I imagine your DD feels the same.

Anonymous

• I told her that if it really bothers her, she should shave as much of it as she feels comfortable doing.

Thats what I would have said too.

I shave for comfort.  It just feels mroe comfortable to me than hair.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2009

• My 15 year old step daughter has been shaving (her legs) since she was 11 ....whatever she does beyond that is really not my business or anyone else's. If she does shave her pubic hair we don't know about it and if that is what she likes then so be it. I personally do because I feel cleaner so I can understand others wanting to do it too. If anything .....your daughter should at least shave the bikini line for bathing suit time!
    Anonymous